We never post opportunities that require a submission fee. LEARN MORE.

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Women in the Age of Trump: SEARCH TEAM

SEARCH TEAM by Clinnesha D. Sibley is a semi-finalist for NYCPlaywrights project "Women in the Age of Trump."

CLINNESHA D. SIBLEY is a published poet, essayist and award-winning playwright. For more information, visit: http://onepagerapp.com/clinneshadsibley.

Thanks to Clinnesha D. Sibley for allowing NYCPlaywrights to publish this excerpt from her play SEARCH TEAM.

   MURPHY 
This is not just about women, okay. I’m talking about job applications and your so-called “weeding out” process. Need I remind you that Donald Trump mocked a reporter with a disability? 
   JOE 
Are you comparing me to Donald Trump? 
   MURPHY 
If the oppressive structure fits. 
   JOE 
You know what. This is bullying. I’m an honest guy, alright. Honesty is the best policy. My decisions are fair and strictly professional. Unlike you, who borderline sexually harassed me this morning using the term penis. 
   MURPHY 
“Locker room talk”. 
   JOE 
Don’t. 
   MURPHY 
And you created the pile for that.  
   JOE 
Look. I don’t have a problem moving the three disabled applicants into the consideration pile. Here they are…one…two, and three. All I’m saying is this company doesn’t need another fault and liability claim. 
   MURPHY 
Do you know the health risks of sitting in a cubicle for hours at a time? Lawsuits are pending, dude. 
   JOE 
Hey, you chose this, alright, the point is, we’ve called for applicants who need to be able to-- 
   MURPHY 
Prepare travel documents, schedule monthly meetings and send out mailers. 
   JOE
We don’t have an elevator. We don’t even have a handicap ramp. 
   MURPHY
That’s exactly what our cheap boss with the penis face would say. Your logic has his watermark all over it. 
   JOE
We can’t accommodate-- 
   MURPHY 
A ramp for a wheelchair? That’s a reasonable adjustment. See, this is why this company needs an HR department. Because this “search team” has a discrimination problem. 
   JOE 
I’m discriminating? 
   MURPHY 
Yes! I know discrimination when I see it. I’ve had dyslexia my entire life! 
   JOE 
Dyslexia is not a learning disability anymore. It’s just a way of learning. 
   MURPHY 
Whatever you say Joe. You’re an expert. And apparently the head of the search team. With your sorting strategies. 
   JOE 
Murphy. 
   MURPHY 
What… 
   JOE 
Nothing. Just. All I ask is that you re-read the job description.
   MURPHY 
You read the job description, Joe. Read it over and over and over and over again. Read the job description and note the disclaimer that job duties and responsibilities may change depending on the evolution of the company. 
   JOE 
I know the disclaimer-- 
   MURPHY 
Be sure and note, Joe, the verbiage regarding Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action that clearly states-- 
   JOE
I know the statement! It’s how you got here! 
   (A beat.) 
I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that in a… 
   MURPHY 
Honesty is the best policy, right? 
   (MURPHY sips HER coffee and continues looking through the applications. JOE adds the three applications from disabled applicants to the pile for consideration.)

Blog Archive