The following guidelines apply to submissions for our Festival of New Theatre, Plays in Progress and general production consideration.
Playwrights with professional representation may have their agents send full manuscripts at any time. Please note that lawyers and law firms do not qualify as professional representation.
To best accommodate our schedule of new play activities, we have an Open Submissions Window, during which playwrights who are not working with an agent may send a submission inquiry. The dates of this year’s window are January 1 to April 30, 2017.
Before submitting a play for consideration, please look at our production history and at the lists of new plays we have commissioned or produced, as an indication of the kind of work we are likely to produce.
Please do not send us the first draft of a play. Due to the number of scripts we receive, we can only read any play one time, so make sure you are sending us your best work. Plays for consideration in our play development series must not have had more than one production at another theatre.
To have your play considered, submit the following:
- A cover letter introducing yourself, with your full contact information.
- Your creative resume and a development or production history of this play. If the play has had other developmental readings or productions, they must be included here.
- A description of this play, no more than ½ page. This need not be a summary of the plot – we welcome a description of the play’s world, characters and conflict, and your reasons for writing it.
- A complete list of characters.
- A ten-page dialogue sample. Pages do not need to come from the beginning of your text but must be sequential.
After reviewing your query, we will let you know whether or not we wish to read the entire script. Agents submitting plays should expect a response within 6-12 months.