Thank you for your interest in the 8th Annual Festival of Shorts hosted at the Wade James Theater by Edmonds Driftwood Players. The Festival this year will be presented in four performances – Friday and Saturday, July 7 and 8 at 8pm; Saturday and Sunday, July 8 and 9 at 2pm.
We are so excited to announce our theme for 2017 ”Unintended Consequences”.
How many times have you never meant to do something but ended up doing the very thing you tried to avoid? Or perhaps you wanted to help someone and ended up creating a bigger mess? Maybe you didn’t want to help someone and ended up being the biggest blessing they ever received. So often, our actions produce consequences that we never thought, never foresaw, never believed could happen. For good, for bad, for ugly, for interesting, for hilarious…the details are up to you!
In order to enter the festival, please DO the following:
- Submit an original, never before produced script for a play that will last no longer than 15 minutes with 6 characters or less, which can be staged with minimal sets, props, and costumes.
- Incorporate the theme of “Unintended Consequences” into your story.
- All scripts should be submitted electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit your play by 5pm Pacific Standard Time on Friday, March 31, 2017.
- Submit two documents:
- A cover page with the name of the title and your full name, address, email address and phone number.
- Your play in ‘Standard Stage Play Format’ with the title of the play ONLY. No identifying information about the playwright is to appear in this “blind” copy. All plays which fail to submit a blind copy of their play will be disqualified. The blind copy of the script preserves anonymity in our judging process.
In order to enter the festival, please DON’T do the following:
- Don’t submit a play with a single character. This means NO monologues, please!
- Don’t submit a play that includes nudity, excessive bad language or could in any way be construed as a hard ‘R’ or ‘X’ rating.
- Don’t include excessive props or things like glitter or feathers that would be hard to clean up and delay transitions for our festival. Eight plays will be presented at each performance (4 plays before intermission, 4 plays after intermission). Please don’t make it hard for our production team to stage your show.
- Don’t submit a play that has been produced on any stage, anywhere prior to March 31, 2017. We will do a search for each play before notifying our 8 finalists. Any evidence that a play has been previously produced will result in disqualification of the script from our festival.
If you have any questions, please email: email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from people all over the planet, so have fun! Hopefully your story about unintended consequences will be a hit with our judges and we’ll see you in July for our 8th Annual Festival of Shorts!