We never post opportunities that require a submission fee. LEARN MORE.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

April 2011 Play of the Month: TRANS-FORMATION by Elaine Romero



Here is the recording of the April 2011 Play of the Month: TRANS-FORMATION by Elaine Romero. Performed by Alice Anne English, Mike Durell, and Allan Brown doing stage directions. Thanks to everybody for your great work and sharing your talent.

We asked Elaine what inspired the play:

I wrote the play for a couple of reasons. I'd been thinking about the representation of women in the theatre. I'd been thinking about opportunities for women playwrights. I'd been thinking about all the women who dedicate their lives to the acting craft and wait for the roles that we may never write for them, or manage to get produced for them. I kept thinking about all this waiting, and in the play, declared: WE SHALL WAIT NO LONGER.

And, perhaps the biggest thing, is a close friend underwent gender reassignment surgery during the same time. As Alison shared her life story with me, I realized my character could have another layer of her quest. I think plays can mean many things at once and perhaps this one does. And not to overload the why question, but I'd been working on a play about a transgendered historical character, CATALINA DE ERAUSO, and I often write a sister play in conjunction with my longer pieces.

more about Elaine here...
The submissions for the May Play of the Month are currently being reviewed and we will announce the winner within the next week.

Blog Archive