Rising Circle Theater Collective is now accepting submissions for INKtank 2014 our play development lab for playwrights of color. INKtank has a twofold mission of providing emerging playwrights of color an artistic home and support system while assisting them in the creation of a more developed draft of a fulllength script. The final
drafts of the INKtank plays will be presented at PlayRISE, a culminating festival event where the selected works receive a public reading.
The 2014 INKtank Lab seeks to select 34 writers of color who are invested in the revision process of their own work as well of their peers in an artistic community environment with a shared intention of honest feedback and earnest conviviality. The 2014 lab cycle will be facilitated by Deepa Purohit (Flight, Grace) and Migdalia Cruz (Fur, Miriam's Flower). INKtank’s lab is a collaborative process where Rising Circle will provide structure and resources while playwrights create what happens weektoweek based on the needs of each writer.
INKtank 2014 GUIDELINES
Applicants must submit the following by November 15, 2013:
§ One full-length script that you would like to work on during the lab (Please note: we are not accepting one character plays at this time.)
§ A one page artistic statement explaining your personal rewrite goals, what you feel are the strengths of the script, and what you would like to focus on for the piece during the developmental process. Please include the developmental history of this piece, if it has had readings in the past, or if there are any upcoming readings of your work.
§ Finalists will be contacted for an interview in mid December.
Each play must have the following in order to comply with our culminating project vision:
§ First drafts of full-length scripts. (Does not have to be polished. In fact, scripts should be at a very raw and early stage of development.)
§ 5 ACTOR maximum. (No exceptions. If your play has more than 5 characters, the text must support double casting.)
§ Be in line with Rising Circle’s mission statement to expand the scope of storytelling on the American stage by giving voice to unheard stories of people of color.
The structure for the lab and culminating event is greatly determined by participant availability.
- The lab will begin in midJan and run through early May.
- Lab meets for 12consecutive weeks, unless otherwise specified by the Facilitators.
- Each session is 34 hours (Pages are read and
- discussed. One hour per playwright).
LAB REQUIREMENTS & GOALS
- INKtank playwrights are expected to attend all weekly lab meetings, and participate in postreading discussions by providing constructive feedback for your fellow playwrights.
- Each playwright must read the selected scripts prior to the first meeting.
- Each playwright is responsible for generating new pages weekly (5 page min, 20 page max)
- Each playwright is expected to participate in 2 midpoint readings. The first midpoint reading consists of reading solely the first act after the first few meetings. After 6 weeks, there will be a second midpoint reading of the rough draft of entire script with actors.Playwrights will continue to refine their drafts for another 6 weeks, culminating PlayRISE.
PLAYRISE FESTIVAL OF NEW PLAYS
- A week of public readings of all plays in earlymid May (final date to be determined during lab process).
- There will be five hours of rehearsal with director and actors before each reading.
- All playwrights will receive an honorarium.
- Playwrights are expected to attend each reading to support their fellow lab members, and participate in any panel events that are scheduled during PlayRISE (please see the “What We Do” section of our website for past PlayRISE events).
All submissions must be sent by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15, 2013.