What Is It? The Helen McCloy/MWA Scholarship for Mystery Writing seeks to nurture talent in mystery writing—in fiction, nonfiction, playwriting, and screenwriting.
Who May Apply? The scholarship is open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents only. Membership in Mystery Writers of America is not required to apply. The McCloy Scholarship is intended for serious aspiring mystery writers who wish to improve their writing skills.
How Shall the Scholarship Be Used? The scholarship shall be used to offset tuition and fees for writing workshops, writing seminars, or university/college-level writing programs taking place in the U.S. in summer, fall or winter of 2014 or early spring 2015. Applicants must select a specific writing class/workshop/seminar to which scholarship funds would be applied.
What Is the Scholarship Amount? MWA will present two scholarships for up to $500 each. Scholarship checks are issued in late Spring and are made out jointly to scholarship winners and their chosen educational institutions.
Submission Details Applicants are required to submit:
* ONE Scholarship application form, completed - 2014 McCloy Application Form
* ONE copy of the official description of the writing class/workshop/program (from college catalog, workshop brochure, or other.)
* FIVE COPIES of a 300- to 500-word essay explaining the applicant’s interest in mystery writing
* FIVE COPIES of a sample of mystery writing for judging: either a synopsis and 3 chapters from a novel, or 3 short stories, or 3 short nonfiction pieces, or 1 screenplay or 1 play script
The scholarship committee may also require a letter of acceptance and/or syllabus or other documentation from the writing class/workshop/seminar to be attended.
Mail all materials in one complete package to:
2014 Helen McCloy/MWA Scholarship Committee,
PO Box 512
Charlottesville, VA 22902
Application Deadline All applications must be postmarked by February 28, 2014. No late applications or emailed applications will be accepted.
Questions? For individual answers and a copy of scholarship FAQs and submission tips (recommended), mail the scholarship committee at the PO box (above) or send an email to: McCloy.MWA@gmail.com No phone calls, please.
About Helen McCloy Helen McCloy (1904-1994) was a mystery author, editor, publisher, and agent. Creator of psychiatrist sleuth Dr. Basil Willing, McCloy served as president of MWA in 1950, won the Edgar® Award for mystery criticism in 1954, helped to establish MWA’s New England Chapter in 1971, and was named an MWA Grand Master in 1990.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (597)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- Aspiring Playwrights Contest
- 2014 TRUSTUS PLAYWRIGHTS’ FESTIVAL
- Theatre Suburbia 2014 Mellerdrama
- Game Play 2014 at the Brick Theater in Brooklyn
- Fly-By-Night Theatre full-length & one-act play su...
- Cherry Lane Theatre's Mentor Project 2014 free tic...
- Helen McCloy Scholarship
- THE DOUGLASS WALLOP FELLOWSHIP
- The New American Theatre is looking to produce one...
- SEEKING ONE ACT TO BE PRODUCED AT MN FRINGE
- 2014 Centre Stage New Play Festival
- Indie Boots Theatre Festival seeks short plays
- SEEKING UNFINISHED SHORT PLAYS
- GRIN YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS COMPETITION
- Over Here Theatre Company is seeking submissions o...
- Stone Soup Shakespeare seeks 10-minute plays
- World War I: The Legacy Project seeks submissions
- The Marilyn Hall Awards for Youth Theater
- Pigs Do Fly Productions is seeking 10-minute conte...
- Independent Lens: Playwright
- 12 Peers Theater New Play Festival 2014
- Special Call for Scripts, Fall/Winter 2013–2014
- Jane Chambers Student Playwriting Contest 2014
- Script Submissions for Playwrights’ Revolution
- Eastbound Theatre seeks short one-act plays
- Interim Writers seeks playwrights
- See the cast/creators of MURDER FOR TWO at Barnes ...
- 4th Annual Vittum Prize
- Nomad's Theatre Company seeks short scripts
- CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS NYC/Metropolitan Area Playwri...
- Little Black Dress INC seeks 10-minute plays and m...
- 2014 Flying Muskrat Theater Company playwright con...
- You’re invited to be a part of “The Apron Strings ...
- Phillip Seymour Hoffman on acting
- Beatrice Terry Fellowship
- PlayFest (Fall, 2014) is seeking new full-length p...
- Saturday Night One-Acts seeks THE SISTER PLAYS
- Bath Fringe seeks writers 18 - 30
- Kanjy Offers a Free Online Portfolio and Community...
- Grants available to Latino artists
- ANT Festival 2014
- Pause & Play 10-minute plays
- Mount Carmel Theatre Company (MCTC) seeks 10-minut...
- Woodward/Newman Drama Award - full-length plays wa...
- Dionysus Theatre in Houston, Texas currently seeks...
- ▼ February (45)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)