The Douglass Wallop Fellowship at Washington College is awarded in odd-numbered years to a playwright.
The Fellowship enables drama students at Washington College to work with and learn from successful playwrights like J.T. Rogers and KJ Sanchez, who spend several days on campus.
The Douglass Wallop Fellow spends approximately five days at Washington College, holding individual conferences with drama students. The Fellow also gives a public reading and a craft talk. The Fellowship includes a $2500 stipend, overnight accommodations, and travel.
The Fellowship is named for the American novelist and playwright Douglass Wallop (1920-1985). He was the author of 13 works, the most famous being The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant (1954), which went on to be adapted by Wallop and co-writer George Abbott into the Tony Award-winning musical “Damn Yankees.” Wallop himself graduated from the University of Maryland and for many years lived on Maryland’s Eastern Shore.
Applicants should send a cover letter (outlining qualifications and reasons for interest in position) as well as a sample of their work to Assistant Director Lindsay Lusby. Work samples may be a full play or selected scenes from a larger work. It is preferred that writing samples be no more than 20 pages. Application materials must be mailed to:
The Rose O’Neill Literary House
300 Washington Avenue
Chestertown, Maryland 21620
For the spring 2015 Douglass Wallop Fellowship, applications will be accepted if postmarked by March 1, 2014.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (600)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- Aspiring Playwrights Contest
- 2014 TRUSTUS PLAYWRIGHTS’ FESTIVAL
- Theatre Suburbia 2014 Mellerdrama
- Game Play 2014 at the Brick Theater in Brooklyn
- Fly-By-Night Theatre full-length & one-act play su...
- Cherry Lane Theatre's Mentor Project 2014 free tic...
- Helen McCloy Scholarship
- THE DOUGLASS WALLOP FELLOWSHIP
- The New American Theatre is looking to produce one...
- SEEKING ONE ACT TO BE PRODUCED AT MN FRINGE
- 2014 Centre Stage New Play Festival
- Indie Boots Theatre Festival seeks short plays
- SEEKING UNFINISHED SHORT PLAYS
- GRIN YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS COMPETITION
- Over Here Theatre Company is seeking submissions o...
- Stone Soup Shakespeare seeks 10-minute plays
- World War I: The Legacy Project seeks submissions
- The Marilyn Hall Awards for Youth Theater
- Pigs Do Fly Productions is seeking 10-minute conte...
- Independent Lens: Playwright
- 12 Peers Theater New Play Festival 2014
- Special Call for Scripts, Fall/Winter 2013–2014
- Jane Chambers Student Playwriting Contest 2014
- Script Submissions for Playwrights’ Revolution
- Eastbound Theatre seeks short one-act plays
- Interim Writers seeks playwrights
- See the cast/creators of MURDER FOR TWO at Barnes ...
- 4th Annual Vittum Prize
- Nomad's Theatre Company seeks short scripts
- CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS NYC/Metropolitan Area Playwri...
- Little Black Dress INC seeks 10-minute plays and m...
- 2014 Flying Muskrat Theater Company playwright con...
- You’re invited to be a part of “The Apron Strings ...
- Phillip Seymour Hoffman on acting
- Beatrice Terry Fellowship
- PlayFest (Fall, 2014) is seeking new full-length p...
- Saturday Night One-Acts seeks THE SISTER PLAYS
- Bath Fringe seeks writers 18 - 30
- Kanjy Offers a Free Online Portfolio and Community...
- Grants available to Latino artists
- ANT Festival 2014
- Pause & Play 10-minute plays
- Mount Carmel Theatre Company (MCTC) seeks 10-minut...
- Woodward/Newman Drama Award - full-length plays wa...
- Dionysus Theatre in Houston, Texas currently seeks...
- ▼ February (45)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)