Theatre Suburbia, the longest running all volunteer playhouse in Northwest Houston, is looking to produce a new Summer Mellerdramer in 2014.
Our theatre has produced crowd pleasing mellerdrammers each summer for many years. We have worked with published scripts like Little Nell the Orphan Girl by Nelson Goodhue, Deadwood Dick by Tom Taggert, Rascality on the Rig by William S Davis, and Curse of an Aching Heart by Herbert E Swayne as well as unpublished works by Eddie Cope, Paul Hager, Dave Brandl and other local writers.
Theatre Suburbia invites the playwriting community to submit new unpublished scripts for consideration. Deadline for submissions is March 1, 2014.
To qualify for consideration, the scripts must conform to the following guidelines:
• The script must have a running time between 90 and 120 minutes.
• The script should have 2 acts with one intermission.
• The main characters (villain, hero and heroine) should make their stage entrances within the first 10 pages of the script.
• The script should contain from 8 to 12 characters. Characters must be a minimum of 10 years old. Remember: children can be difficult to cast and this may affect final selection.
• The scripts should contain asides (in mellerdrammer fashion) for the characters. The villain should the most, followed by the hero and heroine, and remaining cast should have a few. The asides help generate the audience responses for the main characters -boos and hisses for the villain, oohs and ahs for the heroine, and of course cheers for the hero.
• This is to be a family type show so absolutely no vulgar, offensive or suggestive language is allowed.
• Set requirements should be simple with a minimum number of locations (house, yard, street scene, etc) because the show is to be performed in the round and the popcorn must be easily cleaned after each performance.
• Any agreed to production can be subject to Royalty, and will be subject to written contractual agreement between Playwright and Theatre Suburbia.
• Author may, at the theatre's discretion, have limited input into the producing of the script. The director and Theatre Suburbia have final authority on the production i.e. casting, set etc.
• The script should be submitted to
Theatre Suburbia, Inc.,
attention Doris Merten,
4106 Way Out West Dr,
Suite N .,
Houston, TX 77092.
No later than March 1, 2014. If the script is to be returned if it not accepted, please enclose a self-address envelope for the return.
• For questions or clarifications a message may be left on Line #4 for Doris, at 713-682-3525 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. attn: Doris Merten. We welcome your scripts.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (602)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- Aspiring Playwrights Contest
- 2014 TRUSTUS PLAYWRIGHTS’ FESTIVAL
- Theatre Suburbia 2014 Mellerdrama
- Game Play 2014 at the Brick Theater in Brooklyn
- Fly-By-Night Theatre full-length & one-act play su...
- Cherry Lane Theatre's Mentor Project 2014 free tic...
- Helen McCloy Scholarship
- THE DOUGLASS WALLOP FELLOWSHIP
- The New American Theatre is looking to produce one...
- SEEKING ONE ACT TO BE PRODUCED AT MN FRINGE
- 2014 Centre Stage New Play Festival
- Indie Boots Theatre Festival seeks short plays
- SEEKING UNFINISHED SHORT PLAYS
- GRIN YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS COMPETITION
- Over Here Theatre Company is seeking submissions o...
- Stone Soup Shakespeare seeks 10-minute plays
- World War I: The Legacy Project seeks submissions
- The Marilyn Hall Awards for Youth Theater
- Pigs Do Fly Productions is seeking 10-minute conte...
- Independent Lens: Playwright
- 12 Peers Theater New Play Festival 2014
- Special Call for Scripts, Fall/Winter 2013–2014
- Jane Chambers Student Playwriting Contest 2014
- Script Submissions for Playwrights’ Revolution
- Eastbound Theatre seeks short one-act plays
- Interim Writers seeks playwrights
- See the cast/creators of MURDER FOR TWO at Barnes ...
- 4th Annual Vittum Prize
- Nomad's Theatre Company seeks short scripts
- CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS NYC/Metropolitan Area Playwri...
- Little Black Dress INC seeks 10-minute plays and m...
- 2014 Flying Muskrat Theater Company playwright con...
- You’re invited to be a part of “The Apron Strings ...
- Phillip Seymour Hoffman on acting
- Beatrice Terry Fellowship
- PlayFest (Fall, 2014) is seeking new full-length p...
- Saturday Night One-Acts seeks THE SISTER PLAYS
- Bath Fringe seeks writers 18 - 30
- Kanjy Offers a Free Online Portfolio and Community...
- Grants available to Latino artists
- ANT Festival 2014
- Pause & Play 10-minute plays
- Mount Carmel Theatre Company (MCTC) seeks 10-minut...
- Woodward/Newman Drama Award - full-length plays wa...
- Dionysus Theatre in Houston, Texas currently seeks...
- ▼ February (45)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)