Thank you for your interest in applying to the Edward F. Albee Foundation.
The Foundation maintains the William Flanagan Memorial Creative Persons Center (better known as "The Barn") in Montauk, on Long Island in New York, as a residence for writers and visual artists of all media.
New: The Center is open from Mid-May to Mid-October, and can accommodate comfortably up to five persons at a time. Residencies are for four or six week periods of time. The standards for admission are, simply, talent and need.
Located approximately two miles from the center of Montauk and the Atlantic Ocean, "The Barn" rests in a secluded knoll which offers privacy and a peaceful atmosphere. The Foundation expects all those accepted for residence to work seriously and to conduct themselves in such a manner as to aid fellow residents in their endeavors. Writers are offered a room; visual artists are offered a room and studio space. Residents are responsible for their food, travel, and other expenses. The environment is simple and communal. Residents are expected to do their share in maintaining the condition of "The Barn" as well as its peaceful
The Foundation is pleased to accept applications AFTER JANUARY 1, 2014 for the 2014 Summer Season; applications must be post-marked no later than March 3rd, 2014 and must arrive--through the mail--no later than March 10th.
All applications must be sent to:
The Edward F. Albee Foundation
14 Harrison St.,
New York, NY 10013
Via REGULAR MAIL ONLY. Any materials arriving by hand, requiring additional postage, signature (e.g. FedEx, UPS, Express Mail, etc.), or any form of personalized receipt will not be accepted (this includes certified mail).
FELLOWSHIPS WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON OR AROUND APRIL 15TH.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS FROM OUTSIDE THE USA: Your applications must
arrive BEFORE February 17th.
NOTE: DUE TO POSTAL REGULATIONS,
SUBMISSION MATERIALS FROM OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES WILL NOT
BE RETURNED. Be certain to include English translations of all materials.
Applicants should complete the enclosed forms and include:
Visual Artists: 6-12 high-quality print-outs of work (NO DIGITAL FILES)
Playwrights/Screenwriters*: A full manuscript
Poets*: Up to 12 poems
Fiction Authors*: 1 short story or 2 chapters from a novel
Non-fiction/ memoir/ journalism*: 2 essays/articles or 2 chapters from a
*Please note: writers who write in a foreign language should apply with English translations of their work.
You must be able to take full credit for the creation of your work sample. No collaborations unless applying as a team!
ALL APPLICANTS must also include:
An up to date resumé
2 letters of recommendation from professionals familiar with you and your
work (included in packet, not sent separately)
An artist’s statement explaining your current need for a residency, as well as the details of the proposed project while in residence (1 page, please)
2 adhesive labels bearing your name only (last name first)
A stamped, self-addressed envelope, with sufficient postage, if you want your work sample returned to you (US ADDRESSES ONLY). If your materials weigh more than 13 oz. it must have electronically produced postage (e,g, - online-generated label) and not regular postage stamps. ALSO: NO “MEDIA MAIL”! IT WILL BE REJECTED BY THE USPS AND THEREFOR DISCARDED BY US.
APPLICATIONS LACKING ANY OF THESE ITEMS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED
Applicants should request a specific month for residency, but should also include one or two alternative choices. (The Foundation is occasionally unable to accommodate first choices.) Please alert us if you are applying to more than one foundation for the same period of time, or if you know you will be unavailable for any particular month.
The foundation does not discriminate against persons with AIDS or any other preexisting medical condition. The Foundation encourages qualified artists from all backgrounds to apply. It does not discriminate against anyone on any basis whatsoever.
Online submission form.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (602)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- Towne Street Theatre membership opportunity - open...
- TLC 5th annual Emerging Artists Program
- Moonlit Wings Productions, seeks plays and musical...
- MadLab Theater seeks longer plays
- Carl Djerassi Playwriting Fellowship
- Gi60 2014: Call for Play Submissions
- Waukegan Theatre Festival seeks plays
- 2014 Turner Cassity Literary Festival One-Act Vers...
- Unboxed Voices' 3rd Annual Short Play Festival see...
- The 4th Annual MRT New Play Competition
- ALL OUT ARTS FRESH FRUIT FESTIVAL TEN MINUTE LGBT ...
- GUIDELINES FOR THE FRANKLIN FURNACE FUND, 2014-201...
- CALL FOR SHORT PLAYS BY AFRICAN AMERICAN PLAYWRIGH...
- iDiOM Theater seeks full-length scripts
- Raw Stages History Theater
- UNDERGROUND @ THE LITTLE NYC/SC PLAY EXCHANGE
- The Bards Town Theatre is seeking submissions for ...
- Open Call for original unpublished Short Plays & S...
- Theatre503’s Playwriting Award
- Hal Leonard Performing Arts Publishing Group welco...
- Princess Grace Playwrights Award
- 9th Biennial Festival of Ten-Minute Plays
- EMOS (EARTH MATTERS ON STAGE) 2015 - CALL FOR SCRI...
- Testimonial time
- Thespian Production seeks short plays for festiva...
- The Women's Theatre Project seeking short plays
- Piney Fork Press Theater One Act Play Festival - N...
- NYCPlaywrights on a roll
- Thanks for the encouragement!
- PLAYWRIGHT FEEDBACK OPPORTUNITY
- Scripts Wanted for Apr. 26 - 27 Short Play Lab -- ...
- 16TH ANNUAL THEATRE CONSPIRACY NEW PLAY CONTEST
- TENFEST 2014 CALL FOR SCRIPTS - Vermont playwright...
- MRTʼs SPRING ONE ACT PLAY COMPETITION
- Seeking 10 minute play based on the theme of Speak...
- Short Play Lab
- Cupcake Lady Productions Awful Play Contest
- Call for Submissions: An Evening of Grand Guignol ...
- International Playwrights Group Residency
- Unsolicited testimonial!
- Discount tickets: RIDING THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
- CALLING ALL NYC AREA PLAYWRIGHTS
- Free events at the National Yiddish Theatre - Folk...
- Young Playwrights Competition & Festival
- NYCPlaywrights testimonial
- Edward F. Albee Foundation residency
- Announcing Triple Canopy’s 2014 call for proposals...
- 4th Annual Short Play Festival
- Distilled Theatre is now accepting play submission...
- Appalachian Festival of Plays and Playwrights
- SILVER SPRING STAGE CALL FOR ONE-ACT SCRIPTS
- Driftwood Players Fifth Annual Festival of Shorts
- Synetic Theater seeks submissions
- Brooklyn Playwrights Workshop Seeks Members
- Dramatists Guild interview with Wendy Wasserstein ...
- Free panel discussion at Playwrights Horizon curat...
- New Digital Publishing House seeks Plays
- Theatre Southwest Festival seeks short plays
- ▼ March (59)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)