EMOS ~ Ecodrama Playwrights Festival & Symposium ~ 2015
Hosted by the Department of Theatre and Dance
At the University of Nevada, Reno in May 2015
CALL FOR SCRIPTS
First place Award: $1,000 and workshop production
Second place Award: $500 and possible workshop production
Honorable mentions: public staged reading
Deadline for Submissions is April 1, 2014.
The mission of EMOS’ Ecodrama Playwrights Festival is to call forth and foster new dramatic works that respond to the ecological crisis and that explore new possibilities of being in relationship with the more-than-human world. The central questions EMOS asks are ―when we leave the theater are things around us more alive? Do we listen better, have a deeper or more complex sense of our own ecological identity?‖If your play does, send to us!
The EMOS Festival includes workshop performance/s of winning script, readings, talkbacks and discussions of the scripts that are finalists in the Playwrights’ Contest. A concurrent Symposium will include speakers, panels and discussions that advance scholarship in the area of arts and ecology, and help foster development of new works.
Guidelines for Playwrights
Scripts must be original works which have not been published and have not had an Equity or ―premier‖ citation production. (Readings or informal workshop productions are okay.)
We are looking for plays that do one or more of the following:
• Put an ecological issue or environmental event/crisis at the center of the dramatic action or theme of the play.
• Expose and illuminate issues of environmental justice.
• Explore the relationship between sustainability, community and cultural diversity.
• Interpret ―community‖ to include our ecological community, and/or give voice or ―character‖ to the land, or elements of the land.
• Theatrically explore the connection between people and place, human and non-human, and/or between culture and nature.
• Grow out of the playwright’s personal relationship to the land and the ecology of a specific place.
• Theatrically examine the reciprocal relationship between human, animal and plant communities.
• Celebrate the joy of the ecological world in which humans participate.
• Offer an imagined world view that illuminates our ecological condition or reflects on the ecological crisis from a unique cultural or philosophical perspective.
• Critique or satirizes patterns of exploitation, consumption, or other ingrained values that are ecologically unsustainable.
• Are written specifically to be performed in an unorthodox venue such as a natural or environmental setting, and for which that setting is a not merely a backdrop, but an integral part of the intention of the play.
We are looking for full-length plays that are written primarily in English (no ten-minute plays, please; one-act plays are okay if 30+ minutes in length; no musicals, please). Submitted plays should address the thematic guidelines as listed above. Deadline: April 1, 2014 ~ Early submission highly encouraged. / Electronic submissions may be sent; see #2 below for instructions.
1. All submissions should include a cover page with:
• Play Title
• Author Name
• Contact Information
2. Two blind copies of the FIRST 30 PAGES OF THE SCRIPT ONLY. Please do not put the author’s name on the script, only on the title page.
• Additional requirements for Electronic Submissions:
• Files must be saved in PDF; cover page may be a separate PDF file
• Send to Jonathon Taylor at email@example.com by April 1, 2014
3. A synopsis of the play and cast requirements.
Paper submissions must be received by April 1, 2014 to:
EMOS Festival/Jonathon Taylor, Department of Theatre and Dance, University of Nevada, Reno
1664 North Virginia Street / MS 0228, Reno, NV 89557-0228
After reading the first 30 pages of all submitted plays, we will narrow the pool of submissions. We will then request two full paper copies be sent to us by July 1, 2014. Winners will be selected from this smaller pool.
Questions? See our FAQ on the EMOS Website at http://emosfestival.wordpress.com. If you still have a question, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
Tuesday, March 25, 2014
- ► 2017 (598)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- Towne Street Theatre membership opportunity - open...
- TLC 5th annual Emerging Artists Program
- Moonlit Wings Productions, seeks plays and musical...
- MadLab Theater seeks longer plays
- Carl Djerassi Playwriting Fellowship
- Gi60 2014: Call for Play Submissions
- Waukegan Theatre Festival seeks plays
- 2014 Turner Cassity Literary Festival One-Act Vers...
- Unboxed Voices' 3rd Annual Short Play Festival see...
- The 4th Annual MRT New Play Competition
- ALL OUT ARTS FRESH FRUIT FESTIVAL TEN MINUTE LGBT ...
- GUIDELINES FOR THE FRANKLIN FURNACE FUND, 2014-201...
- CALL FOR SHORT PLAYS BY AFRICAN AMERICAN PLAYWRIGH...
- iDiOM Theater seeks full-length scripts
- Raw Stages History Theater
- UNDERGROUND @ THE LITTLE NYC/SC PLAY EXCHANGE
- The Bards Town Theatre is seeking submissions for ...
- Open Call for original unpublished Short Plays & S...
- Theatre503’s Playwriting Award
- Hal Leonard Performing Arts Publishing Group welco...
- Princess Grace Playwrights Award
- 9th Biennial Festival of Ten-Minute Plays
- EMOS (EARTH MATTERS ON STAGE) 2015 - CALL FOR SCRI...
- Testimonial time
- Thespian Production seeks short plays for festiva...
- The Women's Theatre Project seeking short plays
- Piney Fork Press Theater One Act Play Festival - N...
- NYCPlaywrights on a roll
- Thanks for the encouragement!
- PLAYWRIGHT FEEDBACK OPPORTUNITY
- Scripts Wanted for Apr. 26 - 27 Short Play Lab -- ...
- 16TH ANNUAL THEATRE CONSPIRACY NEW PLAY CONTEST
- TENFEST 2014 CALL FOR SCRIPTS - Vermont playwright...
- MRTʼs SPRING ONE ACT PLAY COMPETITION
- Seeking 10 minute play based on the theme of Speak...
- Short Play Lab
- Cupcake Lady Productions Awful Play Contest
- Call for Submissions: An Evening of Grand Guignol ...
- International Playwrights Group Residency
- Unsolicited testimonial!
- Discount tickets: RIDING THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
- CALLING ALL NYC AREA PLAYWRIGHTS
- Free events at the National Yiddish Theatre - Folk...
- Young Playwrights Competition & Festival
- NYCPlaywrights testimonial
- Edward F. Albee Foundation residency
- Announcing Triple Canopy’s 2014 call for proposals...
- 4th Annual Short Play Festival
- Distilled Theatre is now accepting play submission...
- Appalachian Festival of Plays and Playwrights
- SILVER SPRING STAGE CALL FOR ONE-ACT SCRIPTS
- Driftwood Players Fifth Annual Festival of Shorts
- Synetic Theater seeks submissions
- Brooklyn Playwrights Workshop Seeks Members
- Dramatists Guild interview with Wendy Wasserstein ...
- Free panel discussion at Playwrights Horizon curat...
- New Digital Publishing House seeks Plays
- Theatre Southwest Festival seeks short plays
- ▼ March (59)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)