Deadline Approaches for Mar. 29 - 30
Short Play Lab -- Cash Prizes!!
Dear Friend in the Theatre,
Deadline is March 15
For the Short Play Lab, scheduled next for Mar. 29 - 30, is obviously hard upon us. While I've been out producing the Midwinter Madness Short Play Festival, scripts have been slow to trickle in. If you have something handy, or have been procrastinating, please drag yourself to the keyboard and send in that script!
New participants are welcome! Whether you've thought about doing a short play in New York but have never tried, or if you're a regular at such events around town, please give a thought to producing a show in the upcoming Short Play Lab.
The rules are easy-peasy:
Deadline is Feb. 28 (yes, we'll take latecomers!). Notification will be soon after submission, depending on number of submissions. The sooner you get your script in, the more time you have to prepare. Get that script in pronto!
Plays should be 1 - 10 pp. in standard playscript format.* (The shorter the better; shorter plays get priority.) Include a title page, as the first page of the script, with your contact info (preferred means of contact is by email).
Submit scripts in MS-Word.
You produce the play whether or not you live in New York. The SPL provides the theatre (at the Roy Arias Studios, 300 West 43rd Street, NYC).
Productions must be non-union: no showcases please! (And no Equity waivers, either.)
Keep production values to a minimum: costumes and hand props are okay. We provide rehearsal cubes, chairs, and a table. You can't leave your stuff in the theatre overnight.
We provide a board op, box office, and venue management.
There are no fees. The SPL keeps the door.
Tickets are $20. Each playwright and director gets to watch his/her show for free. There are no other comps.
There will be a tech rehearsal in the daytime on Mar. 29.
Every play gets 2 performances, 1 on Sat. and 1 on Sun. Each play will be part of 1 of 2 programs: Program A or Program B, but not both. Program A takes place at 7 pm Sat. and 4 pm Sun. Program B takes place at 9 pm Sat. and 2 pm Sun.
We don't do staged readings. Be off-book, please! Plays not off-book during tech will be removed from the line-up.
THE MOST POPULAR PRODUCTION IN EACH PROGRAM RECEIVES A CASH PRIZE OF $75. Winners are determined by polling patrons after the performance. We reserve the right to break ties.
*12 pt Times Roman; character names in the middle on their own line; line spaces between speeches and between speeches and stage directions; indented stage directions.
The SPL is a lot of fun and a good way to see your work on its feet in a supportive environment. It's also a great way to see actors and directors at work, so you can recruit people for later productions.
To submit a script, send it as an attachment, in Word format, to email@example.com. Any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me an E-mail!
Executive producer, Short Play Lab
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (597)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- Towne Street Theatre membership opportunity - open...
- TLC 5th annual Emerging Artists Program
- Moonlit Wings Productions, seeks plays and musical...
- MadLab Theater seeks longer plays
- Carl Djerassi Playwriting Fellowship
- Gi60 2014: Call for Play Submissions
- Waukegan Theatre Festival seeks plays
- 2014 Turner Cassity Literary Festival One-Act Vers...
- Unboxed Voices' 3rd Annual Short Play Festival see...
- The 4th Annual MRT New Play Competition
- ALL OUT ARTS FRESH FRUIT FESTIVAL TEN MINUTE LGBT ...
- GUIDELINES FOR THE FRANKLIN FURNACE FUND, 2014-201...
- CALL FOR SHORT PLAYS BY AFRICAN AMERICAN PLAYWRIGH...
- iDiOM Theater seeks full-length scripts
- Raw Stages History Theater
- UNDERGROUND @ THE LITTLE NYC/SC PLAY EXCHANGE
- The Bards Town Theatre is seeking submissions for ...
- Open Call for original unpublished Short Plays & S...
- Theatre503’s Playwriting Award
- Hal Leonard Performing Arts Publishing Group welco...
- Princess Grace Playwrights Award
- 9th Biennial Festival of Ten-Minute Plays
- EMOS (EARTH MATTERS ON STAGE) 2015 - CALL FOR SCRI...
- Testimonial time
- Thespian Production seeks short plays for festiva...
- The Women's Theatre Project seeking short plays
- Piney Fork Press Theater One Act Play Festival - N...
- NYCPlaywrights on a roll
- Thanks for the encouragement!
- PLAYWRIGHT FEEDBACK OPPORTUNITY
- Scripts Wanted for Apr. 26 - 27 Short Play Lab -- ...
- 16TH ANNUAL THEATRE CONSPIRACY NEW PLAY CONTEST
- TENFEST 2014 CALL FOR SCRIPTS - Vermont playwright...
- MRTʼs SPRING ONE ACT PLAY COMPETITION
- Seeking 10 minute play based on the theme of Speak...
- Short Play Lab
- Cupcake Lady Productions Awful Play Contest
- Call for Submissions: An Evening of Grand Guignol ...
- International Playwrights Group Residency
- Unsolicited testimonial!
- Discount tickets: RIDING THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
- CALLING ALL NYC AREA PLAYWRIGHTS
- Free events at the National Yiddish Theatre - Folk...
- Young Playwrights Competition & Festival
- NYCPlaywrights testimonial
- Edward F. Albee Foundation residency
- Announcing Triple Canopy’s 2014 call for proposals...
- 4th Annual Short Play Festival
- Distilled Theatre is now accepting play submission...
- Appalachian Festival of Plays and Playwrights
- SILVER SPRING STAGE CALL FOR ONE-ACT SCRIPTS
- Driftwood Players Fifth Annual Festival of Shorts
- Synetic Theater seeks submissions
- Brooklyn Playwrights Workshop Seeks Members
- Dramatists Guild interview with Wendy Wasserstein ...
- Free panel discussion at Playwrights Horizon curat...
- New Digital Publishing House seeks Plays
- Theatre Southwest Festival seeks short plays
- ▼ March (59)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)