The Bards Town Theatre is seeking submissions for its 2014 Mainstage season. While we embrace comedies and dramatic pieces, we look in either case for plays that focus on engaging characters, honesty, and a love of words. Our space is intimate, and thus we seek plays that would translate well in such an intimate space. Small casts, great stories with pace, unit sets--we love these.
MAIN STAGE (FULL-LENGTH) SUBMISSIONS
SUBMISSIONS ACCEPTED OCTOBER 1 - MARCH 31
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. SUBMISSIONS NOT FOLLOWING GUIDELINES ARE LIKELY TO BE MISPLACED, AND THUS NOT GIVEN CONSIDERATION.
Submissions received during our reading "dead period" are not considered.
All submissions are eligible for our annual Bard Award. For more info, visit http://www.thebardstowntheatre.org/bard-award-world-premieres.html
All genres accepted. Full length plays only for the main stage. Typically, we either produce world premieres or newer plays that have done well elsewhere but have not been seen in the Louisville area.
On average, we receive 400-500 full-length play submissions annually (and 300+ ten-minute plays). It typically takes us 6 months to get to scripts. We do not provide feedback, nor can we confirm each individual submission. If we are interested in producing the piece, we will, of course, be in touch.
Please include a short bio/resume and brief synopsis and production history (if any) with your submission.
We tend to do scripts that (1) Have cast sizes of 2-6; (2) Run under 1 hour, 45 minutes...we typically like to have the audience out in 2 hours or fewer, and we always have an intermission; (3) Have characters that fit with at least some of our resident ensemble. If your script calls for numerous actors under 18 or over 50, we will most likely pass; and (4) have minimal technical requirements. We are about telling stories. We prefer simple lighting and unit sets...or at least something that allows us to be creative with the requirements.
Our reading process goes as follows: (1) We check the cast, set, and technical requirements. If they do not meet our needs, we do not read the piece...as we could not do it, even if we loved it; (2) We read the synopsis; (3) We read the first 20 pages, judging characters, dialogue, and pace; (4) If we like it thus far (about 10% of ones submitted), we then get a team of readers on it and compare notes; and (5) We contact the playwright if interested in securing rights.
The Bards Town Theatre prefers electronic submissions, PDF or DOC.
Electronic submissions from playwrights outside of KY (neither a native or a current resident) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
KY residents or natives should submit to email@example.com.
If you would prefer to mail your script, please send to
The Bards Town Theatre,
1801 Bardstown Rd,
Louisville, KY 40205.
SCRIPTS WILL NOT BE RETURNED.
Questions should be directed to Executive Artistic Director Doug Schutte, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
Saturday, March 29, 2014
- ► 2017 (602)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- Towne Street Theatre membership opportunity - open...
- TLC 5th annual Emerging Artists Program
- Moonlit Wings Productions, seeks plays and musical...
- MadLab Theater seeks longer plays
- Carl Djerassi Playwriting Fellowship
- Gi60 2014: Call for Play Submissions
- Waukegan Theatre Festival seeks plays
- 2014 Turner Cassity Literary Festival One-Act Vers...
- Unboxed Voices' 3rd Annual Short Play Festival see...
- The 4th Annual MRT New Play Competition
- ALL OUT ARTS FRESH FRUIT FESTIVAL TEN MINUTE LGBT ...
- GUIDELINES FOR THE FRANKLIN FURNACE FUND, 2014-201...
- CALL FOR SHORT PLAYS BY AFRICAN AMERICAN PLAYWRIGH...
- iDiOM Theater seeks full-length scripts
- Raw Stages History Theater
- UNDERGROUND @ THE LITTLE NYC/SC PLAY EXCHANGE
- The Bards Town Theatre is seeking submissions for ...
- Open Call for original unpublished Short Plays & S...
- Theatre503’s Playwriting Award
- Hal Leonard Performing Arts Publishing Group welco...
- Princess Grace Playwrights Award
- 9th Biennial Festival of Ten-Minute Plays
- EMOS (EARTH MATTERS ON STAGE) 2015 - CALL FOR SCRI...
- Testimonial time
- Thespian Production seeks short plays for festiva...
- The Women's Theatre Project seeking short plays
- Piney Fork Press Theater One Act Play Festival - N...
- NYCPlaywrights on a roll
- Thanks for the encouragement!
- PLAYWRIGHT FEEDBACK OPPORTUNITY
- Scripts Wanted for Apr. 26 - 27 Short Play Lab -- ...
- 16TH ANNUAL THEATRE CONSPIRACY NEW PLAY CONTEST
- TENFEST 2014 CALL FOR SCRIPTS - Vermont playwright...
- MRTʼs SPRING ONE ACT PLAY COMPETITION
- Seeking 10 minute play based on the theme of Speak...
- Short Play Lab
- Cupcake Lady Productions Awful Play Contest
- Call for Submissions: An Evening of Grand Guignol ...
- International Playwrights Group Residency
- Unsolicited testimonial!
- Discount tickets: RIDING THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
- CALLING ALL NYC AREA PLAYWRIGHTS
- Free events at the National Yiddish Theatre - Folk...
- Young Playwrights Competition & Festival
- NYCPlaywrights testimonial
- Edward F. Albee Foundation residency
- Announcing Triple Canopy’s 2014 call for proposals...
- 4th Annual Short Play Festival
- Distilled Theatre is now accepting play submission...
- Appalachian Festival of Plays and Playwrights
- SILVER SPRING STAGE CALL FOR ONE-ACT SCRIPTS
- Driftwood Players Fifth Annual Festival of Shorts
- Synetic Theater seeks submissions
- Brooklyn Playwrights Workshop Seeks Members
- Dramatists Guild interview with Wendy Wasserstein ...
- Free panel discussion at Playwrights Horizon curat...
- New Digital Publishing House seeks Plays
- Theatre Southwest Festival seeks short plays
- ▼ March (59)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)