The Burbage new writing prize is an open competition where the winning script will receive a full production by Burbage Productions. There are no rules on content or style aside from that the play must be complete and be in the English language. The aim of the prize is for us as a fledgling company to build our network of writers who may work with us on future collaborations, and to allow writers the platform in which to explore and develop their work with theatre practitioners.
- The competition is open to anyone.
- The piece can be about anything! Play, musical, adaptation, you name it! As a company our main ethos is on Story telling, it is as broad as that, and can be interpreted in any way.
- There is no age limit.
- The play must have a playing time of at least sixty minutes, no shorter please.
- We can only accept one entry per person.
- The play must be an original, unproduced piece of work. It cannot have received a professional production. Amateur productions do not apply. Any scripts that have been professionally produced or published will be automatically disqualified.
- The entrant must exclusively own and control all copyright and all other related rights to the Submitted script. It must be available for production and unattached to any other organisation or individual. If it is an adaptation you must own all rights. We cannot accept scripts which infringe on the copyright of others.
- The terms for any Subsequent production mounted by Burbage will be negotiated after the closing of the competition.
- We can offer feedback on scripts to those who seek it. We aim to be as constructive and direct in our apparoach, allowing both parties to benefit. All details as to how to obtain such feedback will be announced after the competition closes.
- We are only able to accept entries submitted by email in Word or PDF format. Entries must be entirely complete and in one document only.
- All entries should be emailed to email@example.com, along with a short synopsis of the piece.
- All scripts must include a contact name, phone number and contact email address on the front page of the script.
- All entries should include page numbers on every page.
- The deadline for entry is midnight on 7 April 2014. Any entries received after this time will not be read, and no extension is possible due to time restraints.
- The winning play will be announced by Monday 14 April. 2014.
Submitting a script constitutes your acknowledgment and acceptance of these terms and conditions.