The Soho Rep Writer/Director Lab was founded in 1998 to explore and develop the work of a new generation of theater artists and to foster new collaborations between writers and directors in the beginning stages of the creative process. Writers and directors must apply separately. At the start of the cycle, writers and directors invited to join the Lab are paired with a partner.
Writer Applicants should submit a 10 page writing sample from a full-length play, as well as a short description / synopsis (no more than 250 words) of that full-length play. Applicants should also submit a resume, as well as one reference and contact details for that reference. Second round applicants will be asked to submit the play that the writing sample came from. This play should not be the play you wish to work on in the Lab, as Lab writers will write brand new play. In the late summer, writer finalists will be asked to interview and also to propose an idea for a new play.
Director Applicants should submit a resume, one reference and contact details for that reference, as well as written responses to the following two prompts. Each response should be limited to 250 words.
Tell us about a current “non-theater” artistic obsession of yours (for example, the work of a particular sculptor, the historical idea of conversation as art, etc.). How does this obsession influence, challenge, or otherwise weigh on your work and/or your process as a director.
From your perspective, what are the skills required of a new play director?
Participation includes attendance at all Lab meetings and readings during the 2014/15 cycle. The Lab meets approximately every other week to discuss the plays. In the spring, each play is given a public reading at Soho Rep., directed by the director matched with the play.
Eligibility Writers and directors must be able to attend all Lab meetings and readings at Soho Rep in New York City during the 2014/15 cycle. They may not be full-time students at the start of the Lab. Past participants of the Lab are not eligible to apply.
Application instructions are included on the following page. Applications must be submitted electronically to us on June 1, 2014 by 5pm EST. Second round applicants and finalists will hear from us in the late summer. All other applicants will hear from us in the early fall. The first lab reading will be held on Sunday, October 5, 2014.
Thank you for your interest in the Writer/Director Lab. If you have further questions please email us at email@example.com.
2014/15 Writer/Director Lab Application Instructions
Our application process is now 100% paperless!
IMPORTANT: Both documents you submit must be saved in the PDF file format. Instructions on saving Word documents as PDFs are downloadable from our website.
STEP 1: Prepare a PDF resume
Prepare a current resume and save it in the PDF format.
File name should be “FirstName_LastName_resume.pdf”
STEP 2: Prepare a PDF dramatic writing sample (writers) or one-page statement (directors)
Writers should submit a 10 page writing sample from a full-length play, as well as a short description / synopsis (no more than 250 words) of that full-length play.
Directors should submit a one-page statement, as described above.
File name should be “FirstName_LastName.pdf”
STEP 3: Fill out the online application
Click the “APPLY NOW” link at the bottom of this page.
Enter the requested information into each field.
Upload your PDF documents.
Click the “Send” button.
Online application form and PDF documents must be submitted no later than June 1st at 5pm EST. LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Unfortunately, no exceptions can be made.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (597)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- Soho Rep Writer/Director Lab
- Smash vase? Paint flower? The results are in...
- Rising Sun Performance Company is looking for shor...
- The Roots of the Bluegrass New Play Festival is se...
- Lakes Area Theatre script submission guidelines
- Accepting applications for the 2014-2015 Harold Cl...
- That Uppity Theatre Company is looking for short p...
- Smithfield Little Theatre seeks one act submission...
- Menagerie is now accepting entries for the One Pag...
- Clockwork Playwriting Contest - Steampunk themes
- 4x4=Musicals seeks ALL NEW ten minute musicals
- Submissions are now being accepted for Capital Rep...
- 9Thirty Theatre Company (9TTC) accepts submissions...
- March Forth Summer Salon
- Stella Adler seeks ensemble plays
- THIRD ANNUAL WARNER INTERNATIONAL PLAYWRIGHTS FEST...
- 2014 Met Life Nuestras Voces National Playwriting ...
- Playwrights CageMatch
- The Ingram New Works Lab
- Seeking plays for THE LAST DAYS OF MANKIND project...
- Kīkaha Ka Manu Play Festival seeks plays in the Ha...
- 2015 This Round's On Us - 10 minute plays
- Echo Theatre submission guidelines
- MITF Seeks Short Subjects for July 2014
- Walden Theatre Seeking Submissions for Its Slant C...
- Bad Theater Fest wants your vote - smash vase / pa...
- MITF Presents Special July Short Play Lab - Cash P...
- Newspeak Theatre submission guidelines
- REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS — SHORT PLAY BEFORE THE FEAT...
- Undiscovered Voices Scholarship 2014
- History Theatre (St. Paul, Minnesota) is accepting...
- National Newborn Festival
- Stage Left Studio Free Rent Series
- The Civilians R&D Group 2014-2015 Application
- Actorly Productions seeks submissions from South A...
- 8 x 10: A Festival of 10 Minute Plays
- Stagelight Magazine seeks submissions
- Dover Little Theater seeks one-act plays with a ho...
- Short Play Festival seeks 10-minute plays
- Write your own ACT ONE
- SEEKING SHORT 1 ACT PLAYS for Manhattan Rep's JUNE...
- Stella Adler seeks 10-minute plays about gender eq...
- Northern Renewal seeks short works about Scotland ...
- CALL FOR 10-MINUTE PLAYS - ROCKFORDS NEW PLAYS FES...
- Something Incredibly Marvelous Happens Call for Sc...
- ICWP 50/50 APPLAUSE AWARD NOMINATIONS SOUGHT
- Playwrights Realm is accepting submissions for its...
- Core Artist Ensemble has begun accepting submissio...
- Playwrights Project - Playwrights in Process
- The Dramaturgy Open Office Hour Project
- InterAct 20/20 Commissions
- Manhattan Repertory Theatre’s NEW WORKS - Summer ...
- 2014 IGNITION Festival of New Plays
- Lone Star Theater seeks Texas plays
- Stickball Productions seeks short plays
- Seeking plays for the Blueprint Series
- Studio Players seek 10-minute plays
- NYCPlaywrights January 2014 Play of the Month: THE...
- Bully Awareness Month 10-minute plays
- Dramatists Guild Fellowship and Musical Fellowship...
- Tomorrow & Tomorrow Theater Co. seeks submissions
- The Center for Spiritual Living seeks short plays
- Rover Dramawerks seeks full-length & 10-minute pla...
- ▼ May (63)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)