CM Performing Arts Center in Oakdale NY announces the 1st Annual Children’s Theater Playwright Competition.
The purpose of this contest is to encourage unpublished writers to write for the stage by providing the opportunity for them to collaborate with actors, directors, and others through all stages of production, including rehearsals and performances. The Playwriting Award supports the development of plays and musicals through a variety of benefits, including an opportunity to workshop the show in a slot on our Children’s Theater Stage, a subscription to our mainstage season, a raffle type item to be named later and your name on a plaque in the theater as the winner. Please refer to the Rules and Procedures.
All Entries must be received by June 15th 2014
Submissions should be mailed physically to:
CM Performing Arts Center
931 Montauk Highway
Oakdale, NY, 11769
Attention Playwright Competition
or emailed firstname.lastname@example.org
- The content must be accessible for CM’s Children’s Theater stage
- The show must contain two acts of material and can be up to 2 hours in length
- Music, if included, must be either original or be public domain.
- If of the musical variety, the submission must include sheet music for at least 2/3rds of the included music
- This contest is only open to amateur i.e. unpublished playwrights
- The contest will be judged by our Artistic Director, Patrick Grossman and the winner will be chosen and posted by 6/30/14
The winner will work in conjunction with our resident Artistic Director to cast, direct and produce the selected work for our September Children’s Theater slot. There will be three performances, on weekends, of the work. At the close of the CM Theatrical Run, the author is free to take the material elsewhere for production and in no way are rights the property of CMPAC.
The rehearsal process will consist of 2-3 rehearsals weekly, leading up to the technical week, or week prior to the production opening, and will be the responsibility of the director/ contest winner, along with the Artistic Director, to schedule and maintain.
A production staff and budget will be provided to the show and the director/winner may have input on production staff and casting.
An opening day reception for the winner, the cast and staff, as well as selected guests of the winner will be provided by CM