FWD Theatre Project, an artists' collective working to advance Chicago's role as a premier developer of new American musicals, is accepting submissions for their inaugural 2015 season. Up to five original musical works will be chosen for development and public readings in the launch year of this new venture.
Selected shows will first be featured in a high-profile industry concert at City Winery on Sept. 22, 2014; This heavily-publicized event will feature nationally recognized artists plus leading and emerging voices from Chicago and Broadway stages, with an audience of theatre and supporting communities, directors, producers, and press with vested interest in establishing Chicago as a leading musical development city.
Following the concert, up to five projects will be offered a 29 hour workshop with two public readings in Chicago during the kickoff 2015 festival (dates TBD.) Writers/teams will receive a $200 honorarium with possible additional funds for travel and/or housing during their reading process.
Submissions open May 15-June 30, 2014 with no fee and the following guidelines:
- Unpublished works only with no prior class-A production
- 100 word synopsis
- Cast breakdown
- First 30 pages of libretto
- Four songs (MP3 preferred) with at least two from the first 30 libretto pages
- Writers bios
- Development history (if available)
- Proof of underlying rights (if work is based on copyrighted material)
- Chicago and national writers welcome
- Selected writers will be notified by Aug. 15, 2014
- Writers are encouraged to attend inaugural concert but not required to do so
Amber Mak, Executive Artistic Director
(please direct to Dropbox or file hosting site for files over 10MB)
Printed/CD submissions (if necessary): email email@example.com for direction.