Sisters in the System
by Tori Rice
Directed by Peter Cirino
Recommended for Ages 16+
Wednesday, March 25 & Friday, March 27 at 7:30pm
Free, Reservation Requested
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or (858) 384-2970
Thursday, March 26 (by invite only; space is limited) - Reception at 6:30pm; Performance at 7:30pm
San Diego State University Experimental Theatre
5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182
(See Directions and Parking Information Below)
Sisters in the System is an immersive theatre piece about two girls navigating juvenile court, addressing issues of sibling separation, court appearances, reunification, and group home placement. Tori Rice interviewed students, judges, CASAs, attorneys, social workers, family members and many others. The resulting play is a fictionalized account of those interviews, offering a 360 view into the almost comical complexity and confusion encountered by juveniles in the foster care and court systems. The play was originally produced with great success last summer in the mock courtroom at Cal Western School of Law.
This is the third year of collaboration between Playwrights Project and SDSU, bringing two departments together at the University (Theatre, Television and Film and Guardian Scholars) through Playwrights Project’s programTelling Stories. Adapting the play to a university theatre setting provides an opportunity for students in different departments to collaborate and build empathy as the students (on stage and in the audience) learn about the challenges faced by college students who have had to navigate a "system."
Playwrights Project is a nonprofit corporation advancing literacy, creativity and communication by empowering individuals to voice their stories through playwriting programs and theatre productions.
The SDSU School of Theatre, Television, and Film provides high quality education for undergraduate and graduate students that emphasizes excellence in the arts and technology, grounded in conceptual and historical foundations.
The SDSU Guardian Scholars Program assists previous foster youth, wards of the court, students under legal guardianship, and unaccompanied homeless youth by providing a comprehensive, highly supportive program to help them earn a college degree.
View the Flyer →
Please RSVP by calling (858) 384-2970 or emailing email@example.com.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (598)
- ► 2016 (514)
- Rover Seconds
- Landmark 2015 seeks 10-minute plays
- ROM COM CONGRATULATIONS!
- Seeking never produced before original short 1 ACT...
- TAKE BACK THE ROM COM: Saturday, March 28 @8PM
- LeaseLab invites playwrights to work collaborative...
- GI60 one-minute play festival
- Theatre Southwest Festival of Originals
- FADE TO BLACK PLAY FESTIVAL seeks 10-minute plays
- Lakes Area Radio Theatre radio play submission gui...
- Script Match database
- SEEKING SUBMISSIONS- NEW WORKS AND WRITERS FOR UNM...
- Moonlit Wings seeks plays for young audiences
- McKinney Repertory Theatre (MRT) 5th Annual MRT Ne...
- The Franklin Furnace Fund Application 2015-2016
- Deadline Extended to May 1st Piney Fork Press/Equ...
- Exquisite Corpse Company is seeking playwrights fo...
- PRINCESS GRACE AWARDS PLAYWRITING FELLOWSHIP
- Free theater in San Diego: SISTERS IN THE SYSTEM
- Slingshot New Works Series Season 2 Episode 2: 'Sc...
- Chagrin Valley Little Theatre 10-10 Festival
- Theatre Conspiracy New Play Contest
- Pride Films and Plays: Call for Sapphic Scripts
- Opera script writer wanted
- Vignettes for the Apocalypse
- THE SEVEN - FUSION's 10th annual short works festi...
- Submission Call from Theatre Nova in Ann Arbor
- FREE THEATER IN NYC: SHAME by Sholeh Wolpé, a read...
- Cupcake Lady Productions seeks bad plays
- Four Quarter Theater seeks 10-minute plays
- Seeing Place submission guidelines
- MadLab Theater seeks full-length plays
- Backwell Playhouse seeks radio plays
- The Puzzle is looking for 10-minute plays
- Call for Submissions for Theatre@First's Eighth An...
- Studio C Artists seeks one acts
- Gulfport Community Players (Gulfport, Florida) see...
- Accepting submissions for Lama Theater Company’s M...
- Everyday Inferno Theatre Company Development Lab
- Free theater in Chicago: INSERT HEART HERE
- Free theater: RED WINE IN PAPER CUPS
- Free theater: WOMAN at the Countee Cullen NYCPL
- The Collective NY seeks submissions for the third ...
- Applause Theatre & Cinema Books is looking for mat...
- Lakes Area Radio Theatre accepts script submission...
- HBO Seeks Diverse, Emerging Writers for HBOAccess ...
- ▼ March (46)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)