About the Program
The Writing Fellows Program is at the heart of what we do—helping writers be writers. Four early-career playwrights will receive nine months of resources, workshops and feedback designed to help them reach their professional and artistic goals. Over the course of the season, Fellows develop a single new play. Monthly group meetings provide a collaborative, energizing setting for writers to share and refine their work. Individual meetings with the Realm’s Artistic Director, Associate Producer, and Writing Fellows Dramaturg support each writer’s specific artistic process. Fellows work with a director and cast over the course of two workshops to see their work come to life. Professional development resources are also an integral part of the program and are tailored to the individual Writing Fellows. Mentor opportunities, meet-and-greets, and professional workshops are designed to shed light on the often opaque business of theatre, and empower the Fellows to be active, informed participants in their own careers. The Writing Fellows season culminates in a public reading of each fellowship play as part of our INK’D Festival of New Plays.
What We're Looking For
Above all, we look for dedicated early-career writers who crave a long-term, rigorous development process. We value intellectual curiosity, imagination and bravery. We love plays with evocative language, plays that contemplate big, unanswerable questions, plays that embrace the complexity of life, and demonstrate an understanding of the possibilities of dramatic storytelling.
Writing Fellows Receive...
A monthly Writers Group
Professional Development Opportunities
A public reading in our INK'D Festival
Access to all our resources: borrow our wi-fi, camp out in our conference room, use our stickies
The occasional hug
• Playwrights must be able to attend meetings and workshops in New York City on a twice-monthly basis from September 2015 through May 2016.
• Playwrights should identify as early-career. Those who have completed an MFA program are eligible, but not those who will be enrolled during the residency.
• Plays to be considered for the fellowship should be complete drafts at a stage of development that would benefit from a nine-month rewriting and reading process. Plays should have no commitments to other theaters that will limit their development with The Playwrights Realm.
• Plays that have already been through a similar development process, or have had a production outside of an academic environment, are not eligible.
• We are not looking for solo performance projects at this time.
Writing Fellows Application Components
• Completed application form. CLICK TO DOWNLOAD.
• Theatrical résumé listing all academic credentials and professional productions
• Full draft of the play that you wish to develop as a Playwrights Realm Writing Fellow in PDF format.
• A list of three references with contact information, or a signed letter of recommendation from a teacher or theater professional (optional).
To apply, send the above materials to: email@example.com
The script must be submitted in PDF format with your name and the play title on a cover page
All applications must be submitted electronically before May 10th, 2015, 11:59PM EST.
Finalists for the program will be interviewed in late summer and final selections will be announced in September.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (602)
- ► 2016 (514)
- May Short Play Lab:
- CALL FOR SCRIPTS: RE-INVENTING FAMILY
- ECHOES OF... A 10-MINUTE PLAY FESTIVAL
- THE FIRST DRAFT at Primary Stages ESPA
- On the Edge: A Festival of New Plays.
- Visiting Playwright Series
- Arch and Bruce Brown Foundation 2015 Playwriting C...
- Wanted: 8 minute plays about Showbiz
- 2015 Rockford New Play Festival
- 3rd Annual Illinois High School 10-Minute Play Fes...
- Athena Theatre Guidelines for Playwright Submissio...
- Studio Players 2nd Annual 10-Minute Play Festival,...
- Fourth Annual Playwrights CageMatch
- Broadway Rose Theater Company submission guideline...
- The Chameleon Theatre Circle's 16th Annual New Pla...
- Summer Playwriting Classes at ESPA!
- The Bellagio Center Resident Fellows Program
- Salute Your Shorts: A Night of One-Acts
- CALL FOR R&D TEAM MEMBERS - LIFE JACKET THEATRE CO...
- The Playwrights Realm Writing Fellowship
- Hit & Run IX call for 10-minute plays
- The Monthly Question reading series
- 15th and FINAL SKETCHBOOK Festival
- I AM SOUL - PLAYWRIGHT RESIDENCY FOR BLACK PLAYWRI...
- 8x10 Play Festival
- Molotov Theatre Group Call for New Scripts for 201...
- The Players Theatre Short Play Festival - NYC
- Submissions invited for the “8 in 48” Idaho Short ...
- March Forth Summer Reading Salon
- MRTʼs SUMMER ONE ACT PLAY COMPETITION 2015
- TAKE BACK THE ROM COM - video excerpts
- RADD Theatre Co is looking for playwrights
- The Secret Theater’s Flying Solo 2 Festival
- Night of New Works Script Submissions
- Nick Darke Award
- One Acts and Snacks Submissions
- Emerging Playwrights Contest
- Ticket discount/ticket give-away for SHE CALLS ME ...
- Ticket discount/ticket give-away for CLINTON: THE ...
- Open Bar Theatricals fellowship
- Door is a Jar seeks submissions for fall issue
- Mixed Blood submission guidelines
- 5th Annual Shakespeare's Birthday Sonnet Slam
- Undiscovered Countries call for submissions
- April SPL: 10 minute plays
- VARIATIONS THEATRE GROUP’S CALL FOR PLAYS
- Playwrights Horizons submission guidelines
- ▼ April (47)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)