Online submissions now being accepted for FULL LENGTH LATINO STAGE PLAYS (In Spanish or English or both!)
Time stamped Deadline: Monday, June 1, 2015. (Time stamped)
MISSION: Since 2000 MetLife Foundation and Repertorio Español joined forces to establish The MetLife Nuestras Voces National Playwriting Competition! It has been our privilege to promote and develop original works that relate to Latino culture, history and life in the United States while at the same time reflecting the universality of the human condition and encourage bright new talent by providing this forum.
*PLEASE READ CAREFULLY*
Plays that do not meet these requirements will not be considered. Playwrights may be Latino or of any other ethnic or racial background as long as the play’s subject matter and characters resonate with Latino audiences and accurately depict the Hispanic experience.
- No screenplays, one act plays, musicals, adaptations or translations will be accepted.
- New and un-produced plays preferred.
- Plays that have had readings or a workshop production are acceptable.
- All plays must be original and full-length (minimum running time: 1 hr., 30 min) and can be written in Spanish and/or English.
- Playwrights must be at least 18 years of age and residents of the United States or Puerto Rico.
- Previously submitted scripts are accepted unless they have already placed in the top 10.
- Each script will be read by two qualified independent judges selected by Repertorio Español, on a blind submission.
- Winners will be announced six to seven months after the deadline. o Each participant will be notified of the results by e-mail.
We request that participants do not contact the office to inquire about the competition’s results.
Round 1: Finalists will receive a staged reading at Repertorio to further develop the script.
Round 2: -Grand Prize Winner: $3,000 and a full production at Repertorio Español
-2nd Place: $2,000 -3rd Place: $1,000 Grand Prize Winner must be available for Awards Ceremony
Follow instructions below to participate.
Send the following information within the body of the e-mail:
- Your full name
- Your cell phone number
- Your mailing address (street address, city, state, zipcode)
- How did you hear about the competition?
- 4-6 line synopsis
- 4 -6 line description of how your play relates to the Latino / Hispanic American community
Unfortunately, we cannot accept any changes or re-submissions once the script has been submitted.
Send the following as an attachment:
One ELECTRONIC COPY of your script -- in one document with numbered pages and a title page that lists the title and year the play was written ONLY. (PDF, Microsoft Word, Plain or Rich Text Formats Accepted)
Please OMIT your name from the script
Do not send other biographical information or reviews Unfortunately, we cannot accept any changes or re-submissions once the script has been submitted.
By submitting your play to the competition, Repertorio Español shall have a right to produce the play for a period of two years. Such production shall be done in accordance with an agreement acceptable to both the playwright and Repertorio Español.
If the playwright receives an offer within the two year period from a third party to produce the play, the company has the right to decide to produce the play on terms no less favorable than offered.
Please direct any questions regarding this competition/application to firstname.lastname@example.org.