The Austin Latino New Play Festival, produced annually by Teatro Vivo, brings together playwrights and audience members for staged readings of new works and rich conversation, each running just one night or afteroon. After each reading, the playwright and dramaturg participate in moderated talkback sessions with the audience.
What is the process for Austin Latino New Play Festival (ALNPF)? The ALNPF provides an opportunity for playwrights to hear, see, and receive feedback on their original work. The festival format brings together the playwright to work with a dramaturg, director, and actors to bring their play to life as a staged reading in front of an audience. The rehearsal process for each staged reading is approximately one week. New for the 2016 season is a reading opportunity mid process (Jan 4-5, 2015) that allows playwrights an opportunity to revise before the formal reading in February.
Teatro Mission Statement: Inspired by the power of theater to educate and entertain, Teatro Vivo produces and promotes Latino theater that provides a window into the Latino community and makes theater accessible to all audiences, especially those underserved in the arts.
ALNPF Script Guidelines:
* The script is in line with the Teatro Vivo mission statement.
* The script is a work by a Latino(a) playwright and/or focused on the lives of Latino(a)s.
* The script is an original work.
* The script utilizes both the English and Spanish language.
* Scripts cannot have been produced or scheduled for full production before or during 2016.
*** NEW*** Additionally, the 2016 festival will select one theater for young audiences to be performed the afternoon of February 27, 2016.
Selected Playwrights will ...
*be available and willing to collaborate with the dramaturg and the director selected by Teatro Vivo in the months of January/February 2016.
*be available in person or via Skype to attend the reading of their play mid process Jan 4-5. The playwright is expected to attend the February festival reading Feb 25-27, and participate in a facilitated talk back with the audience immediately after the reading of their script. Playwrights are encouraged to attend all three festival readings.
*Playwrights will submit their scripts in a pdf file via email by Sunday November 1, 2015, by midnight, with the submission information requested below. Playwright information, including name, should not extend beyond the cover page of the script.
*Teatro Vivo will select scripts to be read in the play festival.
*No payment, fee, stipend, actual or implied will be paid to the playwrights. Selected playwrights incur their own travel expenses. Housing with Teatro Vivo company members may be available.
*Plays will be announced on or before midnight Friday, November 20, 2015.
In addition to script, please submit (in a separate MSWord doc): A brief biographical sketch and playwright background, email address, phone number, and home address. Include a brief response to two questions in 200 words or less: What areas of your script are you still eager to explore and develop? What are your goals for this play festival process?
Submit to both: AustinLNPF@gmail.com CC:firstname.lastname@example.org More info at www.teatrovivo.org
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (601)
- ► 2016 (514)
- whimperbang is accepting submissions
- RED PLAYWRITING COMPETITION
- Palm Beach Dramaworkshop
- The Ensemble Studio Theatre/Alfred P. Sloan Founda...
- The Platform Group seeks playwrights for project
- Free Tickets: Politikos 2015, the New York Politic...
- LADIES FIRST seeks theater announcements
- Writers Workshop discount: BURN THROUGH YOUR STORY...
- MAIL-ORDER DRAMATURGY PROGRAM
- The Greenhouse Submissions
- EMERGING PLAYWRIGHT AWARD SUBMISSION
- CALL FOR FIVE-MINUTE PLAYS
- Uptown Works seeks one-act plays
- Martini Theatre Company Seeking submissions of new...
- MRT November Event
- The Monthly Question. November 2015
- Mastodon Theatre is seeking a full-length play
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church is seeking submission...
- Eden Prairie Players Now Accepting One Act Submiss...
- Free reading: 3C
- 2016 Snowdance® 10 Minute Comedy Festival
- Free theater: EDUCATION
- Ryga welcomes submissions
- Discount tickets: LADY
- Will Geer’s Theatricum Botanicum Seedlings
- Playwrights Horizons free symposium
- Old Library Theatre (OLT) 5th Annual One Act Play ...
- Austin Latino New Play Festival
- THE NATIONAL TEN-MINUTE PLAY CONTEST
- The Secret Theatre in LIC is looking for submissio...
- Playwrights' Week 2016
- Hobo Robo 8: Hobos With Their Eyes All A-Glow
- NYTW Fellowships
- Schreiber's Shorts: TRANSITIONS
- The Downtown Urban Theater Festival (DUTF) is curr...
- The Brick's Oven
- FutureFest 2016
- The Great Gay Play and Musical Contest 2015
- Playwright's Festival
- 11TH InspiraTO Playwriting Contest
- VARIATIONS THEATRE GROUP’S CALL FOR PLAYS
- MITF's New Fall Festival
- Ninth Annual Original OneAct Festival
- Jewish Playwriting Contest
- Torrent Theatre is seeking 10-20 minute plays
- Rover Dramawerks 10-Minute Play Contest
- THE MORRISSEY PLAYS
- Reva Shiner Comedy Award
- The Ruby Slipper Fringe
- Stage Left Theater call for 1-minute plays for Fas...
- CLOCKHOUSE Submissions
- ▼ October (51)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)