Urban Stages' EMERGING PLAYWRIGHT AWARD is presented to innovative playwrights whose works speak to the whole of society. Special attention is given to plays that touch on social issues. Submissions are accepted throughout the year (there is not a deadline) from around the United States and internationally.
However, special attention is given to those who live in or near New York.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
Submit plays to:
555 Eighth Avenue, RM 1800
New York, NY 10018
Email submissions will not be accepted.
Full-length plays only:
- scripts must be firmly bound
- No changes or revisions accepted after submission
- No double-sided pages.
- 7 actors or less (Doubling is okay)
With your submission, please include:
- Biography and/or author’s history of the play
- Character breakdown
- Brief synopsis of the play.
- A small SASE envelope for response letters. Whole plays will no longer be returned. All plays will be recycled.
Plays MAY HAVE BEEN developed elsewhere, BUT NEVER PRODUCED in New York City.
There is no limit to submission. Subject matter and character variations are open.
There is no submission fee.
It usually takes two to six months for us to read and process your script. We ask that you do not call or email our offices to inquire on the status of your play.
Plays from overseas and throughout the United States are accepted and considered. BUT special attention will be given to playwrights who live in or near New York.
There is no deadline for The Emerging Playwright Award.
However, there may be deadlines for plays under special consideration (for example Words by Women, 2-character, etc.). These deadlines will be announced. All submissions are eligible for The Emerging Playwright Award.
Bookmark our website to keep up to date on our Mainstage production and traveling plays and workshops!
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (602)
- ► 2016 (514)
- whimperbang is accepting submissions
- RED PLAYWRITING COMPETITION
- Palm Beach Dramaworkshop
- The Ensemble Studio Theatre/Alfred P. Sloan Founda...
- The Platform Group seeks playwrights for project
- Free Tickets: Politikos 2015, the New York Politic...
- LADIES FIRST seeks theater announcements
- Writers Workshop discount: BURN THROUGH YOUR STORY...
- MAIL-ORDER DRAMATURGY PROGRAM
- The Greenhouse Submissions
- EMERGING PLAYWRIGHT AWARD SUBMISSION
- CALL FOR FIVE-MINUTE PLAYS
- Uptown Works seeks one-act plays
- Martini Theatre Company Seeking submissions of new...
- MRT November Event
- The Monthly Question. November 2015
- Mastodon Theatre is seeking a full-length play
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church is seeking submission...
- Eden Prairie Players Now Accepting One Act Submiss...
- Free reading: 3C
- 2016 Snowdance® 10 Minute Comedy Festival
- Free theater: EDUCATION
- Ryga welcomes submissions
- Discount tickets: LADY
- Will Geer’s Theatricum Botanicum Seedlings
- Playwrights Horizons free symposium
- Old Library Theatre (OLT) 5th Annual One Act Play ...
- Austin Latino New Play Festival
- THE NATIONAL TEN-MINUTE PLAY CONTEST
- The Secret Theatre in LIC is looking for submissio...
- Playwrights' Week 2016
- Hobo Robo 8: Hobos With Their Eyes All A-Glow
- NYTW Fellowships
- Schreiber's Shorts: TRANSITIONS
- The Downtown Urban Theater Festival (DUTF) is curr...
- The Brick's Oven
- FutureFest 2016
- The Great Gay Play and Musical Contest 2015
- Playwright's Festival
- 11TH InspiraTO Playwriting Contest
- VARIATIONS THEATRE GROUP’S CALL FOR PLAYS
- MITF's New Fall Festival
- Ninth Annual Original OneAct Festival
- Jewish Playwriting Contest
- Torrent Theatre is seeking 10-20 minute plays
- Rover Dramawerks 10-Minute Play Contest
- THE MORRISSEY PLAYS
- Reva Shiner Comedy Award
- The Ruby Slipper Fringe
- Stage Left Theater call for 1-minute plays for Fas...
- CLOCKHOUSE Submissions
- ▼ October (51)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)