For 20 years, NYTW has honed an inclusive fellowship program for emerging theatre makers with a multiplicity of perspectives. These fellowships have taken many forms, supporting playwrights, directors, designers and administrators.
In its current iteration, the 2050 Fellowship is a yearlong residency for emerging playwrights and directors. The 2050 Fellowship provides a space for experimentation, artistic and administrative support, and mentorship. The 2050 Fellows are emerging artists who, with their unique voices, give us perspective on the world in which we live; and who challenge us all to contend with this changing world.
What is a 2050 Fellow?
The 2050 Fellowship is named in celebration of the U.S. Census Bureau’s projection that by the year 2050, there will be no single racial or ethnic majority in the United States.
This projection provokes thoughts at New York Theatre Workshop about the transformations that will take place in the American landscape – technologically, environmentally, demographically and artistically. They are a catalyst for broader questions about our moral and artistic future.
How do we define diversity? Whose stories aren’t being told? What lies ahead for our world?
In response to these questions, NYTW’s longstanding Fellowship program continually to evolve to support the diversity of voices and aesthetics that will make up this new minority majority.
The 2050 Fellows are emerging artists who, with their unique voices, give us perspective on the world in which we live; and who challenge us all to contend with this changing world.
With the 2050 Fellowship, NYTW is re-affirming our responsibility to nurture artists who reflect this multiplicity of perspectives, challenge the dominant paradigm, and give voice to those whose experiences are not often heard.
The following materials must be submitted by 5PM on Monday, October 19th. Incomplete or improperly formatted applications will not be accepted. Review the following requirements carefully.
A completed online form, available here, that includes the following:
-Names and contact information for two references (Recommendation letters are NOT required at this stage; however, they will be requested if you are invited to submit a full application.)
In a Single PDF to be uploaded into the form with your name as the subject:
-An artist statement that, in a total of 750 words or less, responds to the following questions:
What kind of work are you interested in making? Why?
What about a fellowship at New York Theatre Workshop specifically appeals to you as an artist?
-A resume listing credits and accomplishments
NYTW will accept up to six 2050 Fellows per season. These fellowships will entail a one year commitment from June to June. Playwrights and directors are eligible to apply.
NYTW’s 2050 Fellowships consists of five basic components:
Monthly fellowship meetings where fellows meet with each other and artists from the NYTW community to discuss craft, aesthetics, and artistic development
Access to rehearsal space and two opportunities to share works-in-progress with the NYTW Artistic staff and entire fellowship cohort
Mentorship from the NYTW Artistic staff and contemporary theatre artists
An invitation to participate in the artistic life of the theatre by attending staff meetings, developmental readings, dress rehearsals, and other NYTW functions
A three-day weekend retreat at the start and end of the fellowship
2050 Fellows are awarded a modest stipend and an artistic development fund to support fellowship projects, see work, research and travel.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (602)
- ► 2016 (514)
- whimperbang is accepting submissions
- RED PLAYWRITING COMPETITION
- Palm Beach Dramaworkshop
- The Ensemble Studio Theatre/Alfred P. Sloan Founda...
- The Platform Group seeks playwrights for project
- Free Tickets: Politikos 2015, the New York Politic...
- LADIES FIRST seeks theater announcements
- Writers Workshop discount: BURN THROUGH YOUR STORY...
- MAIL-ORDER DRAMATURGY PROGRAM
- The Greenhouse Submissions
- EMERGING PLAYWRIGHT AWARD SUBMISSION
- CALL FOR FIVE-MINUTE PLAYS
- Uptown Works seeks one-act plays
- Martini Theatre Company Seeking submissions of new...
- MRT November Event
- The Monthly Question. November 2015
- Mastodon Theatre is seeking a full-length play
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church is seeking submission...
- Eden Prairie Players Now Accepting One Act Submiss...
- Free reading: 3C
- 2016 Snowdance® 10 Minute Comedy Festival
- Free theater: EDUCATION
- Ryga welcomes submissions
- Discount tickets: LADY
- Will Geer’s Theatricum Botanicum Seedlings
- Playwrights Horizons free symposium
- Old Library Theatre (OLT) 5th Annual One Act Play ...
- Austin Latino New Play Festival
- THE NATIONAL TEN-MINUTE PLAY CONTEST
- The Secret Theatre in LIC is looking for submissio...
- Playwrights' Week 2016
- Hobo Robo 8: Hobos With Their Eyes All A-Glow
- NYTW Fellowships
- Schreiber's Shorts: TRANSITIONS
- The Downtown Urban Theater Festival (DUTF) is curr...
- The Brick's Oven
- FutureFest 2016
- The Great Gay Play and Musical Contest 2015
- Playwright's Festival
- 11TH InspiraTO Playwriting Contest
- VARIATIONS THEATRE GROUP’S CALL FOR PLAYS
- MITF's New Fall Festival
- Ninth Annual Original OneAct Festival
- Jewish Playwriting Contest
- Torrent Theatre is seeking 10-20 minute plays
- Rover Dramawerks 10-Minute Play Contest
- THE MORRISSEY PLAYS
- Reva Shiner Comedy Award
- The Ruby Slipper Fringe
- Stage Left Theater call for 1-minute plays for Fas...
- CLOCKHOUSE Submissions
- ▼ October (51)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)