2016 RULES & GUIDELINES
Seeking bold and dynamic plays that embrace the Red Theater aesthetic.
The competition winner will receive a staged public reading with the Red Theater Company in Chicago as well as with the collectives in Lincoln, Omaha, and Purchase NYC. The three runners up will also receive a staged reading of an excerpt of their play.
We are looking for rebellious work that asks dangerous questions.
RIGHT OF FIRST REFUSAL
As Red Theater Chicago is serious about producing new works from theatrical playwrights, RTC invokes an 18 month Right of First Refusal to produce the Chicago exclusive production of the winning script as defined by the date of the first public staged reading. Playwrights agree to receive $75 per performance in royalties for the duration of the run. Submission to this competition constitutes agreement with the above fine print, rules, and regulations.
1) As we have a huge number of submissions, any not following the guidelines will sadly be discarded.
2) Email subject lines must be in the format of PLAY TITLE, AUTHOR’S NAME.
3) Please submit your play as a PDF to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4) The play needs to be at least 60 minutes running time and no longer than 120.
5) The play need NOT be a premiere. This is a change from previous years.
6) Adaptations are accepted as long as the author has complete rights.
7) The play should be written in, or translated into, the English language.
8) We can only accept one submission per playwright.
9) Please ensure your script includes a list of characters and that the pages are numbered.
10) In the interests of impartiality, please do not include your name anywhere on the script (or in the PDF title). Please provide your contact details in the email only.
The 2016 competition opens for submissions on July 1st, 2015.
Deadline for submissions: October 31st, 2015.
Winners and a shortlist will be announced on or before January 31, 2016.
Performances of selected material will occur at The Den Theatre, in March 2016 TBD
All entrants will be contacted, but please note that we cannot give individual feedback to every applicant.