Science and the Arts are intricately linked, as they both seek to answer the age-old questions of humanity. Many people see science as a debunker of myth, but in actuality science is as magical as imagination. What is more spectacular than the feats of Mother Nature, the beauty of the human body, or the alchemy of a lab? Strange Sun seeks full length plays that explore the interplay of science and art. Plays that explore specific people, theories, concepts, scientific methods of working are all exciting possibilities for submission.
Playwrights should submit a copy of their script IN PDF FORM. Please include a brief synopsis, cast list, workshop history (if any) and a short paragraph on what you would like to get out of an extended developmental process .
Please have your contact information on your script as well as in the body of your email..
In the subject line please write: GREENHOUSE: SCIENCE/ART
Submissions are open from September 1st – November 1st, 2015. Any plays submitted after that time will not be considered.
We will select four plays as part of the Strange Sun Theater Greenhouse On Book Reading Series in April of 2016. Some of those four plays may be chosen for further development with Strange Sun.
Please carefully review the submission guidelines below. Those works which fall outside the guidelines will not be considered.
Due to the large number of plays submitted, we will only be able to contact or provide feedback to those playwrights who are accepted as finalists.
- Submit your play as a .pdf document
- Please submit only unproduced plays (though plays with previous readings or development workshops will be considered)
- We are interested in playwrights who are looking to develop their piece further, and are open to collaborating with directors, actors, and producers in developmental workshops
- Playwrights from all over the world are invited to submit, provided the plays are in English
- Only full length plays between 70 and 120 minutes in length
- Submit only one play per playwright
- Do not submit a play previously submitted to the Greenhouse
- If musicals are submitted, please supply a link to demos of the music
- We are not considering dance pieces, though plays which include a dance component will be considered
- Plays submitted after midnight on November 1st, 2015 will not be considered
- Due to the high volume of submissions, we will only be able to contact those playwrights we select
- We will be contacting our finalists in December/January, and announcing our choices for the Greenhouse ‘On Book Series’ on our website by January 15th, 2015
- We will hold our first developmental workshop and readings of the plays in April of 2016
- For further information about the Strange Sun Theater Greenhouse Project, click here.
- Please have your contact information on your script as well as in the body of your email..
Because of the large numbers of scripts we receive, we are not able to give feedback.
Playwrights can only submit one play.
IN 2015 WE WILL ONLY BE READING PLAYS ON THE THEME OF SCIENCE AND ART - ALL OTHER PLAYS WILL BE DISCARDED