Greenbrier Valley Theatre (GVT) is pleased to announce that we are now accepting submissions for our 2016 New Voices Play Festival!
This festival is an opportunity for up-and-coming or accomplished playwrights to submit their work which, upon selection, will be produced on the mainstage at GVT, the State Professional Theatre of West Virginia. The performance of these plays is an invaluable tool for playwrights to workshop what’s working in the play and what may need revision. The New Voices Play Festival has become a popular event among our patrons who are eager to enjoy these new works.
Play Submission Guidelines:
-Plays must be 5- to 10-minute one-act plays.
-Playwrights may submit up to two works for consideration.
-Plays must be unpublished and must not have had a full professional production.
-The subject matter of submitted plays is open; however, excessively strong language is discouraged.
Is this your first time submitting? Here's what happens:
A brief rehearsal process (approximately 10 hours/play) takes place in January with an emphasis placed on clarity, not effect—getting the playwright’s words and story out to the audience. The plays are directed by theatre professionals and experienced community directors who cast actors from our local Lewisburg community. These plays are performed together before a panel of theatre professionals and local audience in attendance. Recognition will be given to the playwright of the 1) audience’s choice and 2) artistic panel’s choice. Additionally, the artistic team will also be providing comments for all of the selected plays with their initial reactions and ways to move forward.
Important to note:
It is a challenge for us to cast youth actors during this time of year. The inclusion of youth characters is not forbidden, but be aware that we may not be able to appropriately cast young characters.
It is also difficult to accommodate larger casts for this festival. We recommend including no more than 6 characters.
There will be no financial award for these plays, even if selected to be performed. However, it will be an opportunity for them to be rehearsed, performed, and received by the Artistic Team of GVT and patrons of GVT who are excited to hear new works.
Submissions will not be returned.
To submit your play electronically, please send a PDF of the script along with a submission form (see below) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To submit your play by mail: Please submit the full script in a three-brad folder or unbound, along with a submission form. Plays may be submitted to this address:
Greenbrier Valley Theatre
c/o Education Department
113 E Washington St.
Lewisburg, WV 24901
Deadline for Submissions: December 2, 2015
The playwrights of the selected plays will be notified of this decision by December 21, 2015.
For more information, contact:
Micah Hein, GVT Teaching Artist
No phone calls, please.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (602)
- ► 2016 (514)
- 2016 New Voices Play Festival
- Lama Theater Company residency
- Shakespeare in the ‘Burg Theater Festival
- Ivy Theatre Company is looking for scripts
- Cape Cod Theatre Project 2015
- Monkeyman Production seeks short plays
- Manhattan Reading Competition
- Discount tickets: DEAD AND BREATHING
- Discount tickets: PROMISING
- YonderSpeak Theatre Co. 10-Minute Play Call for Su...
- Free creative writing class
- MRT seeking short and long plays, performance art,...
- Prime Playmaking Project
- VENUS/ADONIS THEATER FESTIVAL COMPETITION
- CALLS FOR UNPUBLISHED PLAYS FOR YOUNG AUDIENCES
- 2016 New Voices Play Festival
- The Blockheads are seeking new work
- Ohlone Playwrights Festival 2016 Seeks Submissions...
- Jewish Women's Theater Culture Klatch
- Florida Studio Theatre seeks 10-minute plays
- The Owl and Cat Theatre seeking provocative new pl...
- Ruddy Productions submission guidelines
- MRTʼs WINTER ONE ACT PLAY COMPETITION 2016
- ANNUAL SHORT PLAY COMPETITION: THINK FAST
- BBC 25th International Play Writing Competition 20...
- Last Frontier Theatre Conference seeks submissions...
- 4th Annual New Works Festival
- PACIFIC PLAYWRIGHTS FESTIVAL
- Amy’s Horse is seeking short plays
- POLITIKOS 2015 THEATER FESTIVAL
- 12 Annual Ten-Minute Playwriting Contest
- The 23rd International MiniFest
- ONSTAGE Festival
- Insomnium seeks plays & playwrights
- Nor’Eastern Play Writing Contest
- Articulate Theatre Company seeks 10-minute plays
- Women's Project Theater Lab Application
- Call for Plays - Women Playwrights Series
- ▼ November (38)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)