American Alliance for Theatre and Education
CALLS FOR UNPUBLISHED PLAYS FOR YOUNG AUDIENCES
The American Alliance for Theatre and Education (AATE) announces a call for unpublished plays for young audiences as part of the 2015-2016 Unpublished Play Reading Project (UPRP).
The UPRP provides an opportunity for playwrights to receive constructive critiques of their work from noted and professional playwrights, producers, directors, actors and others in the field of youth theatre. An annotated list of plays deemed highly producible is distributed by the AATE Playwrights Network to theatre companies and play publishers, and rehearsed readings of cuttings from selected plays are featured at the annual AATE conference. The AATE Playwrights Network is dedicated to promoting the process of developing new works and informing producers and artistic directors of high quality new scripts for young audiences.
To be considered for the 2015-16 project, scripts must be submitted December 17, 2015, and must conform to the following guidelines.
Guidelines for submissions:
l. Plays should be intended for young audiences ages four through high school age and have a minimum performance length of approximately 35 minutes.
2. Scripts may be previously produced, but must be unpublished and not committed to publication.
3. Supporting materials (resumes, photos, reviews, etc.) should not accompany submissions.
4. Playwright may submit up to two scripts.
5. We do ask that scripts be submitted via email as a PDF to Jeremy Kisling, project coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
6. The playwright's name must not be visible anywhere on the script. Please include the playwright's name, address, phone, and play title in your email submission.
7. If you choose to send a manuscript via mail – please note that the script cannot be returned. Playwrights should include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for confirmation of receipt of their scripts.
8. Musicals are eligible. Submissions must include three recordings of the music and lyrics. Please do not send a written score.
9. Playwrights shall allow the release of their names, addresses, and play titles to producers, professional publications, and AATE members. Playwrights also grant permission to AATE to read portions of their work in activities that promote AATE/UPRP, with proper credit given to the playwrights.
10. Mailed submissions may be should be sent to
Jeremy Kisling, AATE/UPRP
Lexington Children's Theatre
418 W. Short Street
Lexington, KY 40507