CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Monkeyman Productions, Toronto's geekiest theatre company, is now accepting submissions for RETURN OF SIMIAN SHOWCASE. We want your short play to be part of our enlivening evening of entertainment, theatre, and laser sounds (PEW PEW). The show would be presented in the distant future, April 2016.
To qualify, your script must:
- Be no longer than 15 minutes in length
- Have a cast of 2-4 characters
- Require minimal tech and encourage suspension of disbelief
Your play may:
- Have had previous readings / productions
- Be a work-in-progress (playwrights will be welcome to attend rehearsals / work with their directors to develop their scripts – but we will set a cut-off date for any changes)
Submissions due by: December 25, 2015
You will be notified of play selections by: January 15, 2016
Production dates to be set for April, 2016
Since 2008, Monkeyman Productions has produced theatre of the futuristic, the freakish, and the fantastic. We examine the obsessions and enthusiasms of a society informed by comic books, monster movies, and video games – speaking the language of Internet addicts, collectors, and true believers. We draw from popular culture just as Shakespeare drew from the common culture of his day – creating our own laser-fueled, zombie-ridden mythologies with a definite eye for the absurd, but also a corresponding empathy for a subject matter which, in the end, encompasses all of us. We are all, in one way or another, geeks. We are all Monkeys.