This is the tenth year of premiered staged readings of three winning one-act plays in showcase at the Brick Box Theatre housed in the beautiful Paramount Theatre in downtown Rutland, Vermont. Vermont Actors’ Repertory Theatre is in its eleventh season. The Nor’Eastern Contest winners will receive an intense day and a half’s work on each play, and two evenings of Showcasing as well as three nights lodging. The Nor’Eastern Showcase rehearsal and performance dates for this year will be May 19, 20 & 21, 2016. First, each script goes through a rigorous screening process with panels of readers. The scripts with the highest scores are submitted to a second panel, and then the finalists are read by a single reader who selects the three scripts to be showcased.
This contest is open to playwrights of all ages and experience who are residents of Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey or Pennsylvania.
● One act plays must be readable in the showcase in 45 minutes or less. Readers are instructed to disqualify plays that are, or appear to be, longer.
● Submissions must be original, unpublished, one act plays. Plays that have had staged readings or productions may be submitted, however, plays that have received Vermont productions or readings, or that have been published, may not.
● Legal clearance of materials not in the public domain is the full responsibility of the playwright.
● Individual playwrights may submit a maximum of two (2) entries per year.
● The author will maintain all literary rights to his or her own material.
● All submissions are judged blind. We require four (4) bound copies with four (4)
cover pages: All four(4) with the title of the play, BUT ONLY ONEwith the author’s name, address, Email & phone numbers. Electronic copies will notbe accepted due to the costs of printing.
● If you would like your scripts returned, you MUST include an S.A.S. mailing envelope covering the FULL return mailing costswith your submission. If no S.A.S.E. is included, your scripts will be recycled.
● Plays must be processed, page numbered, and securely bound in an ably bound soft cover, in standard professional play format. Write to Samuel French Inc., 45 West 25th Street, New York, NY 100102751 for their format guidelines, or copy them from www.vcu.edu/artweb/playwriting/format.html on line.
● All submissions will be handled with care. However, Vermont Actors’ Repertory Theatre assumes no responsibility for lost or damaged scripts.
● Submission fees: Following the guidelines of the Dramatists Guild of America there is no entry fee.
● Mail four (4)copies of your script(s) to: Nor’Eastern Play Writing Contest, Vermont
Actors’ Repertory Theatre, PO Box 580, Rutland, Vermont 057020580.
Deadline for submissions is postmarked by November 15, 2015, notification of winners will be on or about March 5, 2016 and the staged readings in Showcase will be in May 19, 20 & 21, 2016, with winning playwrights expected to attend.