THE PRESIDENT PLAYS
An evening of 10-minute plays
NYC/Metropolitan Area Playwrights
You are invited to submit an original 10-minute play to Urban Stages’ THE PRESIDENT PLAYS, a new opportunity under the auspices of Urban Stages’ Development Program.
THE PRESIDENT PLAYS challenges your creativity to write an original play using a “president” or “presidency” as the springboard, subject or theme. Think outside the box! ANY elected or appointed official can be featured, from a U.S. president to a chief officer of an institution to the president of the International Scrabble Club! Or find inspiration from a famous myth, speech or motto (“I cannot tell a lie” – “Yes we can!” – “Ask not what your country can do for you…”). We are seeking plays written in any style that reveal a fresh plot, sufficient conflict and a running time of 10 minutes, maximum. Plays are due at midnight on January 10. The first 60 submissions will be considered for programming. Selected plays will be presented as a staged reading at Urban Stages’ 74-seat theatre located at 259 West 30th Street in Manhattan. Performances will be Sunday, February 21 @ 2:00 & 5:00. Are you ready? Here are the guidelines. Please read carefully!
- The springboard, subject or theme for your play must be a president or presidency.
- Write for a cast of 2-3 actors.
- We strongly encourage scripts that can be staged without relying on stage directions. If stage directions are necessary, please keep them to a minimum.
- Your script will be presented as a staged reading in accordance with AEA guidelines. Keep production values to a minimum. Standard set pieces will be available. Costumes are at the discretion of the director and the willing cooperation of the actors. No hand props can be used. Remember, less is more!
- Plays should be in standard script format: 12 point font, 1” margins on all sides, and character names on a separate line. Be sure to number all pages.
- Submit scripts in MS-Word - preferred - or PDF format.
- Scripts longer than 10 pages – title and character breakdown pages are not counted – will NOT be considered. Regardless of the number of pages, the running time MUST be no more than 10 minutes!
- You may only submit one script for consideration.
- Playwrights must attend both performances of the staged reading on February 21.
- We encourage you to attend rehearsals, if possible. The schedule will be determined later.
- The deadline for script submission is midnight, January 10.
Urban Stages presents the play. We provide the actors, directors, stage manager, rehearsal space and the theatre (located at 259 West 30th Street).
ALL participants are donating their time and talent. There is no fee or cost to the playwright. There is a ‘pay-what-you-will donation’ for audience members to attend the staged readings.
Each playwright and director will attend the staged readings of their script in designated seating.
Every play gets two performances on the same day.
Please make sure you follow all submission requirements.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Email your scripts to Bara@urbanstages.org.
- Write in the subject line: THE PRESIDENT PLAYS / Your Name
- In the body of the email send:
- Your complete contact information – name, mailing address, email address and phone number
- A one-line summary of the action of your play
- You will be contacted regarding your script’s status by February 1.
If you have any questions, use the email address above. For more information on Urban Stages, see our website at www.urbanstages.org. We look forward to hearing from you!