Playwright Festival 2016
Each summer, City Theatre of Independence holds a festival featuring eight, original works. This year’s Playwright Festival will be July 28-31, 2016.
Please carefully review the following guidelines to submit your short play(s):
1) The theme for 2016 is “The Road Not Taken”
2) Each play submitted must have no more than 4 characters, and no more than 4 set pieces.
3) Must run 10-15 minutes in length.
4) Plays with an excess of offensive language will not be accepted; if you have to ask, assume it’s excessive.
5) Submissions will only be accepted from January 1 through January 8, 2016.
6) Only the first 75 plays received will be accepted for consideration.
7) Please email scripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. IMPORTANT: The script must have no identifying personal information attached to it. A separate cover sheet with all contact information, including the play title must be included. We will only notify playwrights that make the specified cut-off and we will not do any notifications after the quota has been filled. Playwrights that make the final chosen eight will be notified and production information will be sent. A compliance search will be conducted on each script.
8 ) Plays cannot be published or produced prior to June 1, 2016, nor be subject to any royalties.
9) No entry fee required
Plays that do not meet these guidelines will not be considered. Please note that plays will not be returned.
Thank you for your interest! We look forward to another successful festival!
You can also view information on last year’s festival here or at Playwright Festival 2015.
If you would like to submit a full length play for consideration by our season committee, you may do so September through October of any year. CTI plans our season two years out, so in fall of 2015 we choose plays for our 2016/2017 season.