Each month will feature a 20-minute segment from three original works by three different writers which are related to, or inspired by, the theme for each month. The themes are as follows: September: MOTHER, October: MAIDEN, November: CRONE, December: MADONNA, January: WHORE. The only consistent element is that each play must feature a “great role” for a female actor. At the end of each night the audience will be invited to select their favorite play of the evening by casting an anonymous ballot. The audience favorite decided upon by majority vote will be named a semifinalist and invited to submit a full text* to Wide Eyed Productions’ Artistic Board for consideration for our final round.
Two (or three) overall finalists will be chosen and given a full staged reading of their plays at the end of the WINKS series. From the finalists, one winning text will be chosen based upon audience and board votes. This winning text will then be put into development with Wide Eyed in whatever capacity we believe would best support the text and playwright.
What you need to know:
· The play does not need to be a world premiere.
· The play does not need to be a fully completed text when it is initially submitted.
· Musicals will be considered as long as they are submitted with a music sample.
· Directors and casts will be provided by Wide Eyed, but we love it when you have suggestions for people you love to work with!
· Please submit selections of text, treatments, and other support material to email@example.com with the title of your play and the theme you think it best matches in the subject line.
· The readings will be presented at The Drama League on the second Tuesday of each month.
· Half of the proceeds from the readings will be donated to women’s organization of our choice following the series.
* The full text of the submitted play is not to exceed a 90-minute estimated run time. Semifinalists will be given a deadline for submissions of full texts.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS MAY 9, 2016