Short new plays (no more than 12 pages, less is fine) that are easily staged and have casts with no more than four people. Our theater is very small and we normally use a minimal set concept in this festival. We have to be able to change sets in just a few minutes as we do six to seven plays each evening of the festival. We don't have space for large casts.
2. We request new work. A play that has had workshops or one or two previous productions is OK, but we are not interested in work that has been produced in numerous other places. Our goal in building the theater was to have a place to produce brand new work and let playwrights have a chance to see their work done for the first time.
3. We seek complete plays rather than excerpts from a larger work.
4. Work will be chosen by the directors we have in the festival. It is not a "contest" and we are not really judging plays in the formal sense. The directors choose the plays we will produce, within the production budget guidelines we give them.
5. Most subject matter is OK. We don't do nudity or off color humor.
6. We ask that all submissions be sent to us via snail mail at the theater. Address is: North Park Vaudeville and Candy Shoppe, 2031 El Cajon Blvd., San Diego, CA 92104, Attn Summer Golden, Artistic Director. We have too much trouble with differing email, word processing, and computer platform issues to take them via email. Additionally, our selection process requires the directors read the plays submitted and the cost of printing all the plays we receive each year is prohibitive. Please insure submissions have a title page with complete contact information (including email), a character summary, and are in proper script form. There is no charge to enter.
7. Submissions must be postmarked by June 30, 2016. Please do not send plays by any method that requires a signature from us. We are not often at the theater when delivery occurs. We will email notice of receipt to all playwrights submitting plays.
8. Send only one script. Multiple submissions do not increase chances of production.
We are trying to support new work and involve actors, playwrights, and directors of all experience levels. We have had a wide variety of artists involved from very experienced to first time directors and actors, to an 8 year old playwright (very short, well received play). We feel having a wide range of experience involved helps the new people learn from the more experienced.
We really appreciate your interest in our theater.
Jeff Bushnell and Summer Golden
North Park Vaudeville and Candy Shoppe
2031 El Cajon Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92104
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (594)
- T. Schreiber Theatre seeks 10-minute plays
- Crossing Borders Repertory – Fall Reading
- DEATHSCRIBE: The Annual International Festival of ...
- The Bridge Initiative is accepting new plays and m...
- NYCPlaywrights readers poll results
- 2016 Playwrights and Artists Festival
- Park Playhouse seeking new musicals
- Fall Writing Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!
- London Horror Festival 2016
- Ars Nova Residency
- Still Crazy (After All These Years!)
- David Calicchio Emerging American Playwright Prize...
- Lagos Literary and Arts Journal submission guideli...
- Generate 31 New Plays in 31 Days
- Seeking short plays for young audiences
- MRT - THE AUGUST EVENT
- Can Serrat Residency
- Free reading: PUSH DOWN GENTLY AND TURN
- Caleb Reese Festival of New Plays and Musicals
- Monsterpiece Theater Collective is seeking new pla...
- Five Minute Mile – Theatre on the Run
- Discount tickets: VISITING HOURS
- Cimientos 2016
- MRT'S Summer One Act Play Competition seeks immedi...
- Discount tickets: A DAY AT THE SEA
- Lucky Penny's 5th Annual Festival of 10 Minute Pla...
- MPAACT is seeking submissions
- Nylon Fusion Theatre Company currently accepting s...
- 2017 Briefs: A Festival of Short LGBTQ Plays
- Infinity Stage, Sound & Film seeks scripts
- Overtime Theater Call for Submissions
- play for voices and words without borders contest
- Manhattan Repertory Theatre's 10 Minute play Conte...
- Discount tickets: HYSTERICAL
- NEW DRAMATISTS RESIDENCY
- North Park Playwright Festival 2016
- SEEKING SUBMISSIONS "SUMMER OF AUDIO"
- Sound Bites 4.0 Accepting Submissions
- Free reading in New Jersey: UNBOUND
- The Amoralists Residency
- LIVEART NYC SUMMER SHORTS 2016
- The Players Follies Play Reading Festival
- The Paragon Journal wants your play
- PLAY DATE: SUMMER 2016 - seeking female playwright...
- Wordsmyth Play Reading Series
- Call for original short Halloween plays by tri-sta...
- MRTʼs SUMMER ONE ACT PLAY COMPETITION 2016
- ▼ July (48)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)