THE PLAY’S THE THING
Scripts must be production-ready. We strongly discourage first drafts and welcome prior productions. Please include development history but no playwright resume, bio, marketing materials, reviews, etc.
• What we offer you: No submission fee. For chosen plays: full production at no cost to playwright, plus a small royalty. All rights remain with the playwright.
• What we ask of you: Before submitting, invest a few minutes to learn about us at www.starliteplayers.com and our Facebook page. Then follow our guidelines.
• Submissions that do not comply with the guidelines cannot be considered.
• Consideration will be limited to the first 50 scripts received that comply with ALL guidelines
• Open to playwrights from the Tampa Bay area at any time and from others at specific times (See “Themes”).
• Comedies only, preferably contemporary.
• Please, no plays requiring guns.
• Length: 11-25 pages. We are not accepting 10-minute plays.
• Cast: up to 4 actors.
• Production requirements: simple.
• Previous productions permitted and even encouraged.
• Original, unpublished work only. Must include a grant of rights if script is an adaptation or requires song lyrics, music, poetry or any other creative input by someone other than the playwright.
• Slightly risqué is OK; raunchy is not.
• Please, no resubmissions.
• Limit: one script per author within a 6-month period so send us your best. EXCEPTION: one submission will be accepted per playwright for each of the four themes listed below.
• Standard script format is REQUIRED: One-inch margins, 12-point type, single-spaced stage directions and dialogue (no space between character name and dialogue), character name centered above dialogue, pages numbered with first page of dialogue as page 1.
• No screenplays, musicals or children's plays.
You may interpret the themes as you understand them. Please don’t send emails requesting a definition or description.
Scripts will be accepted with no geographic restrictions on the dates stated with each theme. Because we’re deluged each time we issue a script call, we must regrettably limit the submission window to just a few days for each theme. We appreciate your understanding.
- Love, Actually—Aug 25 through midnight Eastern time on Aug 28, 2016.
- Thanksgiving—Sept 29 through midnight Eastern time on Oct 2, 2016.
- Looking Back, Looking Ahead—Oct 27 through midnight Eastern time on Oct 30.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with two attachments as follows:
1 pdf containing the script with title, cast of characters, set requirements but no information identifying the playwright anywhere in the script. File name should be: “(TITLE OF PLAY), (THEME), Script” (without quotation marks).
1 single-page pdf containing title of play, author name/address/contact information, short synopsis (about 50 words) and play’s development history. File name should be: “(TITLE OF PLAY), (THEME), Cover page” (without quotation marks).
We look forward to discovering exciting new work and genuinely appreciate your interest. However, due to the high volume of scripts and our very small staff, we are unable to enter into correspondence about guidelines or submissions. If we are interested in producing your play, we will contact you.