Beginning September 1, PlayPenn will be accepting applications for its 2017 new play development conference; we are pleased to request your full length, unproduced script for consideration. Please review the guidelines carefully and completely before making application. Application materials will be accepted between September 1 and September 30, 2016. Your application must be uploaded and complete by September 30, 2016 or it cannot be considered.
Currently, we are not considering musicals, plays for young audiences or oneperson plays. Also, if you were a 2016 Conference playwright we ask for a one year hiatus from applying.
The 2017 conference will be held in Philadelphia, PA from July 11-30th at The Drake Theatre in Philadelphia, PA. Invited playwrights will have the opportunity to work with a director, dramaturg and Philadelphia-based, professional actors over a 20-day period that allows for 29 hours of rehearsal and staged reading time along with ample time to reflect and write. The work will begin with a three-day roundtable (July 11-13) that will help in laying the collaborative groundwork for the development time ahead. The conference includes two public staged readings that are intended as a part of the process, giving playwrights an opportunity to measure the efficacy of the work accomplished and provide an opportunity to gauge the work ahead. PlayPenn will provide travel for casting for both writer and director, travel to and from the conference, housing, per diem and a stipend.
Applicants should be aware that we are a development conference rather than a festival or showcase for new work. The distinction is important and meaningful to us in the current climate of the increasing commercialization of play development. We work to avoid participation in what has become known as “development hell” by fostering an environment in which risk is rewarded and honest assessment is provided and encouraged. To that end, we focus on the needs of the text. The public Conference readings are intended to present a glimpse into how the text lives off the page rather than how the how the play might be staged in production.
TO APPLY, CLICK HERE
Please follow the instructions to upload your play into our system. Because the database identifies you through your registration, NO NAME SHOULD BE INCLUDED ON ANY DOCUMENT, except your resume.
Please submit the following:
1. An original script in .pdf format with no identifying information (no name on the document). Applications that are submitted in non-pdf format will not be considered
2. Your current resume (pdf)
3. A casting breakdown and the number of actors required (pdf) (no name on the document). Please do not assume that doubling schemes are obvious. We want to know how many actors your play requires in a workshop setting.
4. The play's development and production history (pdf) (no name on the document). Plays that have had readings are eligible. Plays that have been produced or that have been through an extended development process are not eligible
5. An articulation of your goals for the development process using the resources offered by PlayPenn. (pdf) (no name on the document). Please be specific in regard to what aspects of your text you would like to focus on during the course of the conference.
PlayPenn does not accept applications by agents.
Your application must be uploaded and complete by midnight September 30, 2016 or it cannot be considered
We look forward to reading your work.
find us on facebook
make a donation
join our mailing list
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (600)
- PlayPenn Conference seeks full-length scripts
- THE Y.E.S. FESTIVAL
- Strand Theater seeks 10-minute plays from women
- August 1 - September 30 The Landing Theatre Compan...
- Six stage plays by Ronald Micci at Amazon
- Lady Plays Podcast
- Shakespeare in the ‘Burg Presents Fourth Annual O...
- NYCPlaywrights Survey Results
- Survey Results
- Free theater in Chicago - Artemisia Fall Festival
- M. T. Pockets Theatre 4th Annual One-Act Play Cont...
- Discount tickets: A DAY BY THE SEA
- Free theater in California: New Works Studio at Sc...
- Pint-Sized seeks 10-15 minute pieces
- New York's Equity Library Theater One Act Play Fes...
- Artistic Statements Workshop With Jill Rafson of R...
- Arkansas Theatre Collective seeks 10-minute plays
- Edgemar Center for the Arts seeks one-acts and ful...
- Theatre Three 20th Annual Festival of One Acts
- MITF seeks short plays and musicals
- MRT seeks 4 more plays
- THEATRE ROULETTE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- QUEER SCARE III
- MRT Comic Book Play Extravaganza
- Upstream Artists’ Collective seeks original work f...
- Lama Theater Company’s Monthly Question
- CALLING WOMEN PLAYWRIGHTS FOR THE WOMEN PLAYWRIGHT...
- Free play reading in California
- Seeking 20 minute plays
- Park Square Theatre submission guidelines
- New Perspectives - Women's Work Lab
- Television Writing at Primary Stages ESPA
- Primary Stages Free Writing Workshop and Ice Crea...
- Manhattan Repertory Theatre seeks short plays
- The 2016 Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award
- 2017 Prize: Submissions Now Open
- The City Theatre National Award for Short Playwrit...
- The Hodder Fellowship
- NEW IDEAS FESTIVAL 2017
- The Players Theatre Short Play & Musical Festival ...
- ▼ September (40)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)