Each year, Kitchen Dog selects six new plays from hundreds of submissions to be part of our New Works Festival. Selected scripts receive 15-20 hours of rehearsal, one public reading in June, and a $100 honorarium for the playwright. As Founding Members of the National New Play Network, it is our goal to showcase an exciting, diverse, and inclusive slate of plays that reflect the next phase of new work coming to the fore in the American theater and beyond. This year marks our 19th annual festival of new plays. In a continued effort to go green, we are only accepting submissions through the New Play Exchange (NPX). If you are unfamiliar with NPX or how to submit a play through the new opportunity module, please scroll down for tips.
We invite playwrights to submit full-length scripts that have had no more than one production. This is more of a showcase opportunity than a developmental one, so scripts should be close to production-ready, especially since we are unable to provide travel funds. Plays that call for five or fewer actors are ideal, but not mandatory. We ask that all scripts speak to Kitchen Dog’s mission. Only one submission per playwright will be accepted.
The web-based NPX is the most efficient way to get your work in front of hundreds of new play professionals across the country. This platform allows us to easily receive your plays, and to recommend them to our colleagues in the field. While we are only able to present six plays as part of our Festival, we are committed to writing recommendations in NPX for our top 25 finalists.
Only electronic submissions will be considered – no hard copies or emailed submissions accepted.
DEADLINE is December 5th, 2016.
If you have questions about submitting your play to us through NPX, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT PLAYWRIGHTS: Get details on how to submit your plays for our annual PUP FEST.
HOW TO USE NPX to SUBMIT YOUR PLAY
1. Go to www.newplayexchange.org and create a Writer account.
2. Once you've set up your profile, upload a full draft of the play you want to send to Kitchen Dog. Samples are not eligible for any NPX opportunities.
3. You'll get an e-mail from NPX telling you that your play is eligible (this can take up to 24 hours, but is usually much faster).
4. Make sure you're logged into NPX in your browser, click on the link in the email, review our criteria again - just to make sure - then click the big blue "tag my play" button.
5. You're done. It's really that simple!