Greenbrier Valley Theatre (GVT) is pleased to announce that we are now accepting submissions for our 2017 New Voices Play Festival! This festival is an opportunity for up-and-coming or accomplished playwrights to submit their work which, upon selection, will be produced on the mainstage at GVT, the State Professional Theatre of West Virginia. The performance of these plays is an invaluable tool for playwrights to workshop what’s working in the play and what may need revision. The New Voices Play Festival has become a popular event among our patrons, who are eager to enjoy these new works.
Play Submission Guidelines
-Plays must be 5- to 10-minute one-act plays.
-Playwrights may submit up to two works for consideration.
-Plays must be unpublished and must not have had a full professional production
-The subject matter of submitted plays is open; however, excessively strong language is discouraged.
Is this your first time submitting with us? Here's what happens: A brief rehearsal process (approximately 10 hours) takes place in January with an emphasis placed on clarity, not effect—getting the playwright’s words and story out to the audience. The plays are directed by theatre professionals and experienced community directors who cast actors from our local Lewisburg community. These plays are performed together before a panel of theatre professionals and local audience in attendance.
Recognition will be given to the playwright of the 1) audience’s choice and 2) artistic panel’s choice. Additionally, the artistic team will provide comments for all of the selected plays with their initial reactions and ways to move forward.
Important to note:
-It is a challenge for us to cast youth actors during this time of year. The inclusion of youth characters is not forbidden, but be aware that we may not be able to appropriately cast young characters.
-It is also difficult to accommodate larger casts for this festival. We recommend including no more than 6 characters.
-There will be no financial award for these plays, even if selected to be performed. However, it will be an opportunity for them to be rehearsed, performed, and received by the Artistic Team of GVT and patrons of GVT who are excited to hear new works.
-Submissions will not be returned.
Works produced at Greenbrier Valley Theatre's New Voices Play Festival may not be performed within a 50-mile radius of Lewisburg for a period of one (1) year following the close of the festival. Future productions within this 50-mile radius that include any of the original actors, in addition to securing rights from the playwright, should note in program materials that the play was originally produced at Greenbrier Valley Theatre and who directed the play during New Voices Play Festival.
-To submit your play electronically, please send a PDF of the script to email@example.com.
To submit your play by mail, please submit the full script in a three-brad folder or unbound.
Plays may be submitted to this address:
Greenbrier Valley Theatre
c/o: Education Department
1038 Washington Street, East
Lewisburg, WV 24901
Deadline for Submissions: December 4, 2016 at 12:00 A.M. (Midnight)
The playwrights of the selected plays, as well as everyone who submitted, will be notified by December 23, 2016.
No phone calls, please.
Thank you so much for your time. We look forward to reading your submissions!
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2017 (604)
- Women in the Age of Trump - the semi-finalists
- Bill Broyles Award
- SKIRTS, the AlphaNYC Theater Company's Winter Thea...
- Carlton E. Spitzer’s Excellence in Playwriting 20...
- Promising Playwright Contest 2017
- Manhattan Repertory Theatre's 10 Minute Play Serie...
- MULTISTAGES 2017 NEW WORKS CONTEST
- The Navigators Theater Company seeks 10-minute pla...
- Proscenium is now accepting submissions
- Las Vegas Little Theatre's 9th Annual New Works Co...
- Call for Submissions For 5th Annual LaBute New The...
- The Robert J. Pickering Award for Playwriting Exce...
- WOMEN IN THE AGE OF TRUMP: submissions are now clo...
- Women in the Age of Trump - NYCPlaywrights call fo...
- Manhattan Repertory Theatre's SHORT PLAY PROJECT
- Source Festival 2017 10-Minute Play Submissions
- INK tank seeks playwrights of color
- Native American New Play Festival
- Premiere Stages seeks full-length plays
- Little Festival of the Unexpected 2016
- East Village Chronicles, Volume 13 April 2017
- Samuel French: Playwrights welcome
- Horse Trade Submission Guidelines
- Discount tickets: PUFFS
- Seeking 10-minute plays for show at Lucky Jacks on...
- The Owl and Cat Theatre seeks provocative world Pr...
- The Robert Chesley/Victor Bumbalo Foundation resid...
- HERE Artist Residency Program (HARP)
- Manhattan Rep's FEBRUARY SHORT PLAY PARTY
- Austin Playhouse Festival of New American Plays
- Undiscovered Countries seeking short sci-fi plays
- PL.A.Y Noir: One Act Play Festival
- 10-10 FESTIVAL SCRIPT SUBMISSION
- Celtic Calling 2017 Playwriting Contest
- Desde el Puente 2nd Annual One Act Play Festival
- Vermont Pride Theater at Chandler seeks full-lengt...
- Evergreen Museum & Library Artist-in-Residency Pro...
- MANHATTAN REP'S SPRING PLAY SPECTACULAR
- Act One: One Act Festival January 9th - 28th
- Spring Writing Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!
- KUMU KAHUA THEATRE/UHM THEATRE AND DANCE DEPARTMEN...
- East End Fringe Festival
- This Is Not Normal: Application Call
- 2017 NEW VOICES PLAY FESTIVAL
- Pallas Theatre Collective welcomes submissions of ...
- The call for submissions is now open for EURODRAM ...
- ▼ December (46)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)