What Is It? The Helen McCloy/MWA Scholarship for Mystery Writing seeks to nurture talent in mystery writing—in fiction, nonfiction, playwriting, and screenwriting.
Who May Apply? The scholarship is open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents only. Membership in Mystery Writers of America is not required to apply. The McCloy Scholarship is intended for serious aspiring mystery writers who wish to improve their writing skills. Applicants should not have received monetary compensation for novels, short stories, non-fiction, screenplays or play scripts in the crime-writing genre.
How Shall the Scholarship Be Used? The scholarship shall be used to offset tuition and fees for writing workshops, writing seminars, or university/college-level writing programs taking place in the U.S. in summer, fall or winter of 2017 or early spring 2018. Applicants must select a specific writing class/workshop/seminar to which scholarship funds would be applied.
To be eligible, the chosen writing program must require the applicant to produce writing and to have writing critiqued. Writing conferences featuring only panels and agent conferences are not eligible.
What Is the Scholarship Amount? MWA will present two scholarships for up to $500 each. Scholarship checks are issued in late Spring and are made out jointly to scholarship winners and their chosen educational institutions.
Submission Details Applicants are required to submit:
* ONE Scholarship application form, completed – 2017 McCloy Application Form
* ONE copy of the official description of the writing class/workshop/program (from college catalog, workshop brochure, or other.)
* One copy of a 300- to 500-word essay explaining the applicant’s interest in mystery writing
* One copy of a sample of mystery writing for judging: either a synopsis and 3 chapters from a novel, or 3 short stories, or 3 short nonfiction pieces, or 1 screenplay or 1 play script
The scholarship committee may also require a letter of acceptance and/or syllabus or other documentation from the writing class/workshop/seminar to be attended.
Email all materials in one complete submission package to:
McCloy.MWA@gmail.comPut “submission” in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline All applications must be postmarked by February 28, 2017. No late applications or emailed applications will be accepted.
Questions? For individual answers and a copy of scholarship FAQs and submission tips (recommended), e-mail the scholarship committee at: McCloy.MWA@gmail.com
About Helen McCloy Helen McCloy (1904-1994) was a mystery author, editor, publisher, and agent. Creator of psychiatrist sleuth Dr. Basil Willing, McCloy served as president of MWA in 1950, won the Edgar® Award for mystery criticism in 1954, helped to establish MWA’s New England Chapter in 1971, and was named an MWA Grand Master in 1990.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- The Anna Zornio Children's Theatre Playwriting Awa...
- Edward F. Albee Foundation guidelines
- The Princeton Theatre Group New Works Festival - ...
- Chagrin Valley 10-10 FESTIVAL SCRIPT SUBMISSION
- UN-CHARTED NEW WORKS FESTIVAL
- Helen McCloy Scholarship
- Mixed Blood Submission Guidelines
- ANNOUNCING PLAYFEST 2017 NEW PLAY SUBMISSIONS
- Moonlit Wings International Playwright Contest 201...
- *CALLING FEMALE PLAYWRIGHTS* The Future Is Female ...
- Urban Stages Emerging Playwright Award Submission ...
- Woodward/Newman Drama Award
- Adapt your Play (or any material) into a Screenpla...
- HUDSON THEATRE WORKS IS LOOKING FOR PLAY SUBMISSIO...
- Script Submissions for Playwrights’ Revolution
- Celebration Barn Residency
- THE PLAYWRIGHTS GROUP — A WEEKLY WORKSHOP
- Yale Repertory Theatre submission guidelines
- The First Draft at Primary Stages
- JANE CHAMBERS PLAYWRITING AWARD
- MANHATTAN REP'S PLAY PRODUCTION PROGRAM
- FROM PAGE TO STAGE
- New Light Theater Project Darkroom 13
- EVCT Aspiring Playwrights Contest 2017
- Bacchanalia 2017 New Play Readings Festival
- New Aesthetics two-week summer intensive
- Headwaters call for submissions
- Park Plays Festival
- Prism Festival
- Discount Tickets: THE VIEW UPSTAIRS
- Screenwriting Structure at Primary Stages ESPA
- BIG APPLE THEATER FESTIVAL
- Panglossian Playwrights submission guidelines
- 2017 Jerome Emerging Artists Residency (August) - ...
- Bad Theater Fest Philadelphia
- Watermelon One-Act Festival (Baltimore MD)
- Online Writing Classes at Primary Stages
- Seeking Ten Minute Plays for the 5th Annual Take T...
- MITF: Summer
- Fantastic.Z 2017 New Works Festival
- ▼ February (40)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)