DEADLINE: AUGUST 31st, 2017. Materials must be postmarked August 31st or received at the theater or emailed by midnight EST of August 31st.
The Public Theater will select the strongest candidates based on the overall strength of the applicant’s play submission, artistic statement, and interview.
The Public will look for candidates from diverse backgrounds who show tremendous artistic promise and talent, as well as responsible and dedicated individuals who are serious about a career in the theater.
The selection committee will be comprised of Oskar Eustis, Artistic Director; Jeanie O'Hare, Director of New Work Development; Jesse Cameron Alick, Company Dramaturg; Jack Moore, Associate Dramaturg (New Writing).
- Cannot have professional representation for playwriting including, but not limited to, agent, manager or lawyer.
- Cannot be a full-time student at any point during the duration of the program.
- Cannot be enrolled in any academic playwriting course during the duration of the program.
- Must not have had productions in New York other than those using the showcase code or in an off-off Broadway theater with 99 or fewer seats. (If your New York show used a higher contract tier than the showcase code, you are not eligible to apply. If your New York show received a festival production in a theater with more than 99 seats and did not use an Equity contract, you are eligible to apply.)
- Must live within 90 minutes to The Public Theater via car or rail.
- Must be able to attend evening meetings at The Public Theater every other week in 2018 and 2019 as well as other events throughout the year, such as master classes, retreats, observerships and other special events at The Public.
- Regular attendance is mandatory and therefore applicants should view the program as a two-year-long commitment.
- Must be available for an in-person interview in early December 2017.
If you are unavailable for an in-person interview or have a limited conflict in regards to attending biweekly meetings, please make note of such conflicts on the Application Form. We will try to accommodate such situations on a case-by-case basis.