Administered by the American Academy of Arts and Letters
These awards, created and endowed by Richard Rodgers in 1978 for the development of the musical theater, subsidize full productions, studio productions, and staged readings by nonprofit theaters in New York City of works by composers and writers who are not already established in this field. The winners are selected by a jury of the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
A. REQUIREMENTS AND ELIGIBILITY
1. The term "musical theater" is understood to include musicals, plays with songs, thematic revues, or any comparable work. The submission of innovative and experimental work is encouraged. The work submitted must be of significant length to fill an evening, and it may consist of a group of smaller, related pieces.
2. The jury will consider only completed works. Care should be taken to submit the work in its best possible form as it may not be submitted again, in another year, even if substantially revised.
3. Only one submission by a collaborative group or a sole creator will be accepted. Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
4. Works by members of the Academy and previous winners of the production awards are not eligible for consideration. Former winners of Richard Rodgers awards for staged readings or studio productions may submit new works.
5. An applicant whose works in the musical theater have received professional or amateur productions in New York City or out of town is eligible unless, in the judgment of the jury, the applicant has already achieved significant recognition in the field of musical theater through the work submitted or through any previous work. Under special circumstances and at the discretion of the jury, applicants who have achieved recognition in fields outside the musical theater may be eligible. Works which have been produced by professional theater companies before a paying audience are eligible only if such productions received no more than 21 performances by a for- profit company or 50 performances by a nonprofit company.
B. SUBMISSION OF MATERIAL
1. The name(s) of the author(s) must be blocked out on each of the items submitted, with the exception of the application form. Write only the title of the work on the script, plot summary, CD.
2. Entry must include four items:
a) Script with lyrics, preferably with no binders or metal clips. Do not send score, videos, or visuals.
b) Half-page synopsis of the action, and a list of characters.
c) CD must contain at least 45 minutes of music, including a minimum of eight songs, recorded in chronological order. Orchestrations are not necessary; piano and vocals are sufficient. Songs must be in sequence on the CD and each song clearly keyed into the script.
d) Please include a separate track sheet of recorded songs with page numbers indicating where they appear in the script, and specify the total number of minutes recorded.
e) Application form signed by all collaborators in a sealed envelope with the title of the work on the outside. Applicants submitting work which has already been produced must give full information concerning these productions, including programs. A work is not eligible if one of the collaborators is deceased.
3. If the submitted work (or a portion thereof) is an adaptation of material which is not in the public domain, candidates must submit licenses, permissions, or authorizations necessary to permit the work to be produced in conformity with applicable copyright laws. The music must be original.
4. Materials will be returned if a self-addressed, stamped mailer is enclosed. Addresses must be valid for at least six months. The Academy will take all due care of materials, but it cannot be held responsible for their safe return.
5. Applicants will be notified of the jury's decision by March 2018.
C. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
1. All rights to the material submitted shall remain the property of the author(s); the Academy will not retain any control over, or rights in, the work after the award production.
2. The decisions of the jury will be final as to eligibility and all other matters.
DEADLINE: MATERIAL MUST BE RECEIVED BY TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2017
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ATHE Award for Excellence in Playwriting
- Fourth Annual National Winter Playwrights Retreat
- Everyday Inferno Annual Outdoor Park Show
- NYCPlaywrights WRITE A MONOLOGUE FOR ME ~ part II
- The Robert J. Pickering Award for Playwriting Exce...
- Empire Stage submission guidelines
- Sundog Theatre is seeking one-act plays
- Between Us Productions 7th Annual Take Ten Festiva...
- Coffee & Whisky Script Pub submission guidelines
- New Plays for Young Audiences seeks full-length pl...
- Page-to-Stage Festival
- Stage Door Productions, Inc Eleventh Annual Origin...
- Manhattan Rep's Playwright's Showcase
- InViolet's SECOND MONDAY SOCIAL
- Primary Previews: Pride and Prejudice
- University of Houston 10-Minute Play Festival Call...
- 2018 Last Frontier Theatre Conference
- 2018 Snowdance® 10 Minute Comedy Festival
- Pallas Theatre Collective TableRead Series
- Heartland Theater Company 2018 10-minute play fest...
- St. Paul's Arts Council Short New Play Festival (I...
- Lotus Lee Foundation New Work Initiative
- Call for Submissions: Pride Films & Plays Seeks Sh...
- 2018 Women Playwrights Series (WPS) and Susan Glas...
- MiniFest 2018 Script Submissions
- Puffin Foundation Grant Award
- Call for Unproduced Latin@ Plays
- Seeking non-binary monologues for non-binary actor...
- The Female Gaze seeks monologue
- The Premiere Play Festival seeks full-length plays...
- The Clubbed Thumb Biennial Commission
- PRIMARY STAGES: Everything is Action (Throwback)
- FUTUREFEST 2018
- EST/Sloan Project
- 2018 Van Lier New Voices Fellowship
- Target Margin Theater TMI Institute Fellowship
- Richard Rodgers Award
- Pipedream Productions seeks short plays
- Reva Shiner Comedy Award
- Theatre Southwest 13th Annual Reader's Theatre
- The Dare Tactic seeks plays & musicals
- NYCPlaywrights Write a Monologue for Me project se...
- Rover Dramawerks fourth annual 10-Minute Play Cont...
- Camargo Foundation residency
- Cape Cod Theatre Project 2018
- Tree City Playhouse 10-Minute Play Competition
- Winterfest Theater Festival
- Talk Back Theater seeks plays by women
- HERE Artist Residency Program
- The Petaluma Radio Players seeks plays for radio
- A Primary Stages ESPA Classic Workshop, offered in...
- Shakespeare in the ‘Burg Fifth Annual One-Act Play...
- The Sauk plays in development
- Manhattan Rep's Playwright's Showcase
- American Antiquarian Society Fellowships for Creat...
- Call for Submissions - Hidden Hate / Hidden Love
- Downtown Urban Arts Festival (DUAF) seeking plays
- Jewish Women's Theater seeks
- ▼ October (58)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)