New Jersey Repertory Company invites playwrights to submit plays for its Sixth Theatre Brut Short-Play Festival. The theme is “WHEN THE CIRCUS COMES TO TOWN".
Plays can be dramatic, political, comedic, musical, monologue, or whatever sparks your interest. Although the theme is specified, we are not prescriptive with regard to style, and how you interpret the theme is the province of each playwright. Keep in mind that Theatre Brut seeks to foster “the creative impulse unfettered by social and artistic convention” so let your imagination soar and be adventurous. If you have ever aspired to "experiment" or stretch the boundaries of theater, this is the time to do so. Prior festivals have received 300-450 submissions and approximately 25 plays are chosen for each event. There is no compensation and playwrights retain all copyright of their works. Performances will be September 21 - 30, 2018 at NJ Rep - West End Arts, Long Branch, NJ and will be supplemented by other arts events including live music, poetry readings, an art show and photography exhibit.
Submitted works must adhere to the following guidelines:
• Must be previously unpublished.
• Although previously unproduced work is preferred, you may submit plays that have had no more than one professional production, as long as it was not produced in New Jersey or New York City.
• Must be 10-15 minutes in length.
• Cast should not exceed 4 actors, including any musicians.
• No doubling - one actor cannot play more than one role.
• The stage is small so set requirements must be simple, and prop requirements modest.
• No set or costume changes, please.
• No consumables other than liquids.
• No nudity.
• Only one submission per playwright.
The deadline for submissions is March 15, 2018.
How to Apply:
SUBMISSIONS: Should be emailed to email@example.com. Make sure you include:
• An attachment of the full script in word or PDF.
• A brief synopsis.
• A character breakdown.
• Playwright bio.
• Playwright address, phone number, and email.
In the subject line please put “Theatre Brut submission”. If your play does not follow these guidelines or does not include the submission materials, it will not be considered. The deadline for submissions is March 15, 2018. Please feel free to forward this request to interested parties. Thank you.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- Aberrant Theatre is currently seeking short, horro...
- 5 Minute Short Play Festival (La Jolla CA)
- Strange Sun Theater is now accepting submissions f...
- Heartland Theater Company 2018 10-minute play fest...
- Comedy Writing
- Helen McCloy Scholarship
- Theatre Southwest 21th Annual Theatre Southwest Fe...
- Punk Monkey Productions seeking one-act plays
- The Bridge Award
- 2018 FailSafe Festival
- PAST PERFECT Benefit Performances
- Living Room Theater New Play Incubator: Immigrati...
- The 16th Annual Fresh Fruit Festival of LGBTQ Arts...
- The Social Club of Brooklyn seeks plays
- Nylon Fusion Theatre Company - Can you HEAR Me?
- Sound Bites seeks 10-minute musicals
- Sixth Theatre Brut Short-Play Festival
- TELLING TRIFLES, a festival inspired by Susan Glas...
- Silver Spring Stage is seeking original one-act sc...
- Attic's Christmas Playwriting Contest & Festival
- Paragon Journal submission guidelines
- Manhattan Rep's New Works Short Play Series
- Sundog Theatre is seeking one-act plays
- Online Playwriting Classes at Primary Stages ESPA
- 2018-19 Woodward/Newman Drama Award
- International Radio Playwriting Competition 2018
- The Dr. Floyd Gaffney Playwriting Competition 2018...
- Playwrights’ Revolution 2018
- Moss Hart & Kitty Carlisle Hart New Play Initiativ...
- GB Shaw on portraying women in plays
- Women Are Funny Seeks Scripts for 2018
- Lotus Lee Foundation New Work Initiative
- Edward F. Albee Foundation guidelines
- Arundel Festival Theatre Trail 2018 Writers' Compe...
- Mass Rhetoric: A New Works Festival 2018
- EMERGING ARTISTS THEATRE NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSION ...
- The Jane Chambers Playwriting Award
- JETFest 2018
- EVCT Aspiring Playwrights
- The Ingenious Grant for Playwriting (Vermont)
- TASN Short Play Festival
- Join the NYCPlaywrights Mailing List
- BLINDSPOT FESTIVAL (UK)
- Gloria Ann Barnell Peter Playwright Competition
- New York City Children’s Theater’s Middle School P...
- CHAGRIN VALLEY LITTLE THEATRE 10-10 FESTIVAL KIDS ...
- Fundamentals of Playwriting at Primary Stages ESPA...
- Experience Theatre Project Seeking Immersive Plays...
- FailSafe Festival
- Chameleon Theatre Company submission guidelines
- Headwaters New Play Festival in Colorado
- First Draft! seeks plays for readings (Edmonds, W...
- Yeats on dramatic subject matter
- Rising Circle Theater Collective is accepting appl...
- ▼ January (54)
- ► 2017 (679)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)