SOUND BITES is an annual musical theatre festival which showcases ten 10-minute musicals or musical excerpts in one evening. Do you have a 10-minute musical or 10-minute musical stand-alone excerpt of a full-scale musical? Any 10-minute piece that can be performed and includes music can qualify! The Fifth Annual Sound Bites 5.0 Festival of little musicals is perfect for you. SOUND BITES offers a unique opportunity for talented writers, composers, and lyricists to showcase their work in front of audiences and industry professionals. Through an open submission process, Theatre Now New York will select the ten best 10-minute musicals or musical stand-alone excerpts which will then be presented in New York City in the Spring of 2018.
Each musical will compete for festival awards and for possible inclusion in future new works development programming with Theatre Now New York. SOUND BITES gives an exhilarating opportunity for artists of all theatrical disciplines at any point in their careers in getting their work seen and possibly developed further or even produced.
- Theatre Now New York (TNNY) will ONLY be accepting online submissions.
- The submissions will be accepted beginning SEPTEMBER 1, 2017 until FEBRUARY 1, 2018 at Midnight -- Any request for an extension must be received before the February deadline at email@example.com and approval is not guaranteed.
- There are NO FEES to submit and NO participation FEES if your show is accepted.
- Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- There is no limit to the number of musicals that an individual may submit, but each musical must be submitted separately.
- Scripts must be submitted in Word or PDF format and must have a cover page with the project name, names of all members of the creative team and contact information of one primary contact person. Music file(s) of song(s) should be uploaded at the time of submission. Please also upload bios of all creative team members and a production history of the piece submitted, if any. Finally, a letter from a theatre professional recommending your work must also accompany your submission.
- Ten finalists will be chosen to present their musicals.
- Each entry must be no more than 10 minutes. It can be either a stand-alone musical or an excerpt from a larger full-scale musical or another performance piece that includes music. If it is an excerpt, the excerpt is strongly encouraged to have a beginning, middle, and end and able to stand on its own.
- The top ten finalists will need to be hands on responsible for producing their own musical with the TNNY staff regardless of whether they live in NYC or not.
- Each musical finalist will be responsible for direction and casting of their own piece. TNNY will help in casting and securing a director if needed.
- TNNY will work with you on your production helping you throughout the process. TNNY will provide up to 20 hours of rehearsal time 2 weeks prior to SOUND BITES. Any additional or prior rehearsals needed will be your responsibility. TNNY will provide the venue and will run the final rehearsal run-thru of all the pieces and the tech rehearsal on the day of the performance. TNNY will also provide assorted stage cubes, stage chairs and electric keyboard. Your team, your director & cast will be responsible for costuming & providing props and any simple scenic elements needed for your show. Your team is responsible for any and all expenses not provided by TNNY as listed here.
- All actors, dancers, and singers must be off book.
- TNNY handles publicity, promotion and ticket sales.
- Performance dates will be in the SPRING of 2018. Based on venue availability we expect the performance date to be Memorial Day, Monday May 28, 2018, subject to change
- If you have other questions please look at our F.A.Q. page first. Please submit any other specific questions not covered to email@example.com.
- Click SUBMIT when you are ready to submit your 10-minute musical.