Celebrating its 26th Anniversary this year, The Blank Theatre’s Annual Young Playwrights Festival is now seeking submissions nationwide from playwrights 19 years of age and younger. The submission deadline is March 15, 2018. Winning plays will be presented by professional actors and directors in June of this year at the Stella Adler Theatre in Hollywood, CA.
The Blank Theatre’s Young Playwrights Festival is a nationwide competition that produces the work of 12 young writers each year. Since 1993, the festival has produced 308 plays by playwrights 19 and younger from 34 states.
Each winning play will have four performances in a weekend run. The productions are made possible in part by grants from The Plum Foundation, The Rosenthal Family Foundation, Los Angeles County Arts Commission, and City of Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs.
The rules for the festival competition are as follows:
- Playwrights must be 19 years of age or younger on March 15, 2018
- Original plays and musicals can be any length, on any subject
- Scripts must be legible and pages must be numbered and unbound
- Submissions may be made online at theblank.submittable.com or hard copies mailed to YPF, c/o The Blank Theatre, PO Box 1094, Los Angeles, CA, 90078 (and must be postmarked or emailed by March 15, 2018)
- There is a limit of three (3) plays per playwright
- All plays must include a cover sheet with the play’s title, playwright’s name, date of birth, school (if any), mailing address, contact phone number, e-mail address and the play’s production history (if any)