The UC San Diego’s Department of Theatre and Dance seeks from all enrolled undergraduate students submissions of previously unproduced, unpublished scripts highlighting the African-American experience in contemporary or historical terms. Adaptations from books and other forms are not allowed.
A $1000 honorarium will be awarded to the winning playwright.
A staged reading of the winning script on May 12th, 2018, in the Wagner New Play Festival attended by national theatre professionals.
Travel and housing cost to and from UC San Diego to be present for the performance.
Finalists and the eventual winners will be selected by a team comprised of the faculty and staff of UCSD Department of Theatre and Dance and invited judges from other theatre facilities, the professional theatre, local media or the UCSD student body.
The decision of the team of adjudicators is final. The UCSD Department of Theatre and Dance reserves the right to select no winner.
Scripts must be original, unpublished, unproduced and free of royalty and copyright restrictions. Plays which have staged readings are acceptable.
Scripts must be 50 pages or longer, typed. Manuscripts must be submitted electronically.
Deadline for entry Friday, April 13th, 2018.
The winner will be announced by April 27th, 2018.
Please include with your submission your contact details (name, college email, address, and phone number), play title, number of characters, institutional affiliation, and a one-page story summary.
All scripts must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- Aberrant Theatre is currently seeking short, horro...
- 5 Minute Short Play Festival (La Jolla CA)
- Strange Sun Theater is now accepting submissions f...
- Heartland Theater Company 2018 10-minute play fest...
- Comedy Writing
- Helen McCloy Scholarship
- Theatre Southwest 21th Annual Theatre Southwest Fe...
- Punk Monkey Productions seeking one-act plays
- The Bridge Award
- 2018 FailSafe Festival
- PAST PERFECT Benefit Performances
- Living Room Theater New Play Incubator: Immigrati...
- The 16th Annual Fresh Fruit Festival of LGBTQ Arts...
- The Social Club of Brooklyn seeks plays
- Nylon Fusion Theatre Company - Can you HEAR Me?
- Sound Bites seeks 10-minute musicals
- Sixth Theatre Brut Short-Play Festival
- TELLING TRIFLES, a festival inspired by Susan Glas...
- Silver Spring Stage is seeking original one-act sc...
- Attic's Christmas Playwriting Contest & Festival
- Paragon Journal submission guidelines
- Manhattan Rep's New Works Short Play Series
- Sundog Theatre is seeking one-act plays
- Online Playwriting Classes at Primary Stages ESPA
- 2018-19 Woodward/Newman Drama Award
- International Radio Playwriting Competition 2018
- The Dr. Floyd Gaffney Playwriting Competition 2018...
- Playwrights’ Revolution 2018
- Moss Hart & Kitty Carlisle Hart New Play Initiativ...
- GB Shaw on portraying women in plays
- Women Are Funny Seeks Scripts for 2018
- Lotus Lee Foundation New Work Initiative
- Edward F. Albee Foundation guidelines
- Arundel Festival Theatre Trail 2018 Writers' Compe...
- Mass Rhetoric: A New Works Festival 2018
- EMERGING ARTISTS THEATRE NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSION ...
- The Jane Chambers Playwriting Award
- JETFest 2018
- EVCT Aspiring Playwrights
- The Ingenious Grant for Playwriting (Vermont)
- TASN Short Play Festival
- Join the NYCPlaywrights Mailing List
- BLINDSPOT FESTIVAL (UK)
- Gloria Ann Barnell Peter Playwright Competition
- New York City Children’s Theater’s Middle School P...
- CHAGRIN VALLEY LITTLE THEATRE 10-10 FESTIVAL KIDS ...
- Fundamentals of Playwriting at Primary Stages ESPA...
- Experience Theatre Project Seeking Immersive Plays...
- FailSafe Festival
- Chameleon Theatre Company submission guidelines
- Headwaters New Play Festival in Colorado
- First Draft! seeks plays for readings (Edmonds, W...
- Yeats on dramatic subject matter
- Rising Circle Theater Collective is accepting appl...
- ▼ January (54)
- ► 2017 (679)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)