We welcome all original and unpublished works between 10 and 45 minute total running time (includes set up/breakdown and curtain call). Twelve to sixteen entries will be selected based on the quality of the writing, story/plot, and character development. Minimal technical requirements is advised as there are only 60 minutes for a technical rehearsal, all props and actors must fit into a 10- by 10-foot space (prior to set up and after breakdown), and there is no technical award.
WOAF rules and a script submission form are available below. A sample adjudication sheet is provided for educational purposes.
A total of three (3) original and unpublished scripts can be submitted for each playwright. Please remember that a separate submission form is required for each play. The script along with its submission form must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by Valentine's Day.
WOAF FESTIVAL RULES.pdf
WOAF Submission Form.pdf
WOAF Submission Form.doc
The production representative is the person submitting the play and the main point of contact. If the representative is not the playwright, a letter signed by the playwright giving WOAF permission to show a production of their play is required with the submission form.
For scripts equal in story quality, preference may be given to shorter scripts with minimal technical requirements.
Watermelon is NOT producing the play, merely presenting the finished product, which may be performed a total of two times if selected as a finalist.
Script submission is FREE. However, if selected, a non-refundable $100 entry fee is required to assist with defraying festival expenses.
Please email us if you have any questions.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- Primary Previews
- Pan Asian Rep NuWorks 2018
- The University of Arizona’s MFA Generative Dramatu...
- Wide Eyed Productions WINKS reading series
- Sound Bites seeks 10-minute musicals
- Experience Theatre Project Seeking Immersive Plays...
- HERE Artist Residency Program (HARP) Application
- Watermelon One-Act Play Festival
- The Blank Theatre’s Annual Young Playwrights Festi...
- Arundel Festival Theatre Trail 2018 Writers' Compe...
- ESPAfest 2018: Free Writing Workshops, Master Clas...
- Shout-out from the Petaluma Radio Players
- Manhattan Rep's Spring One Act Play Competition
- Women Are Funny Seeks Scripts for 2018
- The Nora Salon submission guidelines
- 5 Minute Short Play Festival (La Jolla CA)
- Strange Sun Theater is now accepting submissions f...
- Heartland Theater Company 2018 10-minute play fest...
- Comedy Writing
- The Bridge Award
- 2018 FailSafe Festival
- PAST PERFECT Benefit Performances
- Living Room Theater New Play Incubator: Immigrati...
- The 16th Annual Fresh Fruit Festival of LGBTQ Arts...
- The Social Club of Brooklyn seeks plays
- Nylon Fusion Theatre Company - Can you HEAR Me?
- TELLING TRIFLES, a festival inspired by Susan Glas...
- Silver Spring Stage is seeking original one-act sc...
- Paragon Journal submission guidelines
- Manhattan Rep's New Works Short Play Series
- Sundog Theatre is seeking one-act plays
- Online Playwriting Classes at Primary Stages ESPA
- 2018-19 Woodward/Newman Drama Award
- International Radio Playwriting Competition 2018
- The Dr. Floyd Gaffney Playwriting Competition 2018...
- Moss Hart & Kitty Carlisle Hart New Play Initiativ...
- GB Shaw on portraying women in plays
- Lotus Lee Foundation New Work Initiative
- Edward F. Albee Foundation guidelines
- EMERGING ARTISTS THEATRE NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSION ...
- BLINDSPOT FESTIVAL (UK)
- Gloria Ann Barnell Peter Playwright Competition
- New York City Children’s Theater’s Middle School P...
- Fundamentals of Playwriting at Primary Stages ESPA...
- FailSafe Festival
- Chameleon Theatre Company submission guidelines
- Headwaters New Play Festival in Colorado
- First Draft! seeks plays for readings (Edmonds, W...
- Yeats on dramatic subject matter
- Rising Circle Theater Collective is accepting appl...
- ▼ January (50)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)