Plays should be original, short one act plays; ideal length 10-15 minutes with 20-minute maximum.
Previously produced plays acceptable. Playwrights may submit up to three (3) plays maximum.
Seeking Short Plays: Comedic, absurd, dramatic, satirical, farcical, musical, etc. are all welcome for review. Works for actors of all ages (children thru seniors) and abilities are strongly encouraged.
Selected plays will be performed at
Theatre 82 in Cranston, Rhode Island
from July 26 – August 11, 2018 (more performance details below).
Deadline for Submission: All plays must be received by Saturday, April 14, 2018.
Any plays received or postmarked past April 14th will not be accepted for review. Plays will be reviewed and judged by a panel of community directors and actors on their artistic and technical merits, and collectively decided on whether they are “selected for performance” or “not selected.” Total number of selected plays is TBD, based on factors including number of submissions, length of plays, etc.
Selected Plays for Performance: The One Act Play Festival (OAPF) Panel will finalize and announce all selected plays for performance by the end of May/early June.
Playwrights will receive notification only if their play(s) was/were selected for performance, and the selected plays will also be posted on the festival’s webpage. Playwrights will not be notified if their works were not accepted. By submitting works, playwrights agree to allow Artists’ Exchange to produce their play(s) in the festival for the public’s entertainment and benefit with no performance/royalty fees.
Selected Playwrights: Participation is volunteer; no stipends or monetary prizes are awarded to selected playwrights. All monies collected from ticket sales will benefit Artists’ Exchange/Gateways to Change, Inc. and the continuation of the OAPF for years to come. Selected playwrights will receive at least two (2) complimentary tickets and recognition in the playbill and festival webpage, including a personal bio and contact information (if provided). Performances are not video recorded.
Festival Performance Schedule:
July 26 – August 11, 2018
Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays @ 7pm
Thursday, July 26 @ 7pm Friday, July 27 @ 7pm Saturday, July 28 @ 7pm
Thursday, August 2 @ 7pm Friday, August 3 @ 7pm Saturday, August 4 @ 7pm
Thursday, August 9 @ 7pm Friday, August 10 @ 7pm Saturday, August 11 @ 7pm
To Submit: Please send all plays to Artists’ Exchange by physical mail or email and include your contact information and play title(s). Playwrights may only submit up to three (3) plays maximum. Contact Jessica Chace with any questions or communications at email@example.com.
Attention: One Act Play Festival Submission Artists’ Exchange
50 Rolfe Square
Cranston, RI 02910
By Email: In Subject line, please write “One Act Play Festival Submission: [Your Name]” and send to Jessica Chace at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jessica Chace, Artistic Director OAPF
About the One Act Play Festival: Since 2006, Artists’ Exchange has hosted the One Act Play Festival for the entertainment and enjoyment of the Cranston community. Short plays are submitted from local, regional, and national playwrights and then selected for performance by a panel of directors/actors. Casts feature community actors of all abilities ranging in sex, age, and experience levels. This year marks the 13th annual year and aims to showcase new works by emerging and established playwrights and highlight the best short plays that were submitted for review.
About Artists’ Exchange: Artists' Exchange is a nonprofit arts collaborative whose mission is to create an atmosphere in which creativity, learning and discovery converge and individuality is celebrated. We are operated by Gateways to Change, a non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for all human beings.
Artists' Exchange is home to multiple art studios, a gallery, art boutique and café, along with secondary venue Theatre 82, a multi-use performance, meeting and instructional space. Enriching classes and summer camps are offered year-round in art, ceramics, theater, and music; and a variety of events – including plays, music concerts, birthday parties, and fundraisers – are hosted at our venues.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- Triskelion Arts' Experimental Works Program
- The Arch and Bruce Brown Foundation grant guidelin...
- Punk Monkey Productions seeking one-act plays
- The Business of Theater Workshop
- 2018 Glassco Translation Residency
- Aberrant Theatre is currently seeking short, horro...
- Life-sized Meme productions seeks scripts for 2018...
- Ox-Bow 2018 Fall Writers Residency
- Keegan Boiler Room Series Play and Musical Submiss...
- Happy World Theater Day March 27
- Fade To Black Play Festival
- The Dr. Floyd Gaffney Playwriting Competition 2018...
- Fourth Annual End of The Road New Short Play Festi...
- THEATRE503 PLAYWRITING AWARD 2018
- 9th Annual Festival of Shorts
- Manhattan Rep's SHORT PLAY PROJECT Spring 2018
- Coachella Review seeks drama
- Open Space Arts seeking submissions
- Seeing Between the Lines: The Dramaturg’s Perspect...
- 48-Hour Musicals
- 9Thirty Theatre Company submission guidelines
- Discount tickets: LATER LIFE
- 13th Annual One Act Play Festival (OAPF)
- Rover Dramawerks is seeking full-length comedies o...
- Theatre Conspiracy Annual New Play Contest
- RENEGADE N.O.W. 2018
- Turn to Flesh seeks plays with female protagonists...
- Matchstick Theatre seeks plays
- 21st Annual Aurand Harris Memorial Playwriting Awa...
- Athena Project - Plays in Progress Series
- The P73 Playwriting Fellowship
- THE LESLIE SCALAPINO AWARD FOR INNOVATIVE WOMEN PE...
- Dan I Rodden Jr Play Award
- Brockport Festival of Ten XI
- Playwrights Week at The Lark
- Manhattan Rep's Playwright's Showcase
- 2018 NATIONAL CALL FOR SCRIPTS Environ Justice
- This Round’s On Us: The - Making Sense - Festival ...
- The Petaluma Radio Players seeks plays for radio
- Babes with Blades submission guidelines
- Princess Grace Awards Playwriting Fellowship
- Call for Monologues: Illuminated Dresses
- Scranton Fringe Festival 2018
- Screenwriting Workshop at Primary Stages ESPA
- Whiskey Radio Hour seeks 10-minute plays
- Sixth Theatre Brut Short-Play Festival
- Clutch Productions offers commission to emerging f...
- Elite Theatre Company One-Act Play Writing Competi...
- The Blank Theatre Young Playwrights Festival
- ▼ March (49)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)