Submission Details for Festival of Shorts!
Thank you for your interest in the 9th Annual Festival of Shorts hosted by Edmonds Driftwood Players in residence at the Wade James Theater.
The Festival this year will be presented in four performances – Friday and Saturday, July 6 and 7 at 8pm; Saturday and Sunday, July 7 and 8 at 2pm. Please read through ALL of the instructions for submission. If a submission does not meet the criteria listed, we will return it so the playwright can fix and resubmit. Deadline for all submissions is Monday, April 2 at 5pm Pacific Standard Time. All short play submissions must be sent electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are so excited to announce our theme for 2018, “Be Careful What You Wish For”. Sometimes the things we most desire can lead to horrible, hilarious and completely unexpected outcomes even when we get our “heart’s desire.” How will you incorporate this truth in your original short script? Make it amazing and maybe we’ll see you at our Festival in July!
In order to enter the festival, please DO the following:
- Submit an original, never before produced script for a play that will last no longer than 10 minutes with 6 characters or less, which can be staged with minimal sets, props, and costumes.
- Incorporate the theme of “Be Careful What You Wish For” into your story.
- Submit two separate documents:
- A single cover page with the title of your play and your full name, address, email address and phone number.
- The original short submission ‘Standard Stage Play Format’ with the script and title of the play ONLY. No identifying information about the playwright is to appear in this “blind” copy. All plays which fail to submit a blind copy of their play will be disqualified. The blind copy of the script preserves anonymity in our judging process.
- Submit your play by 5pm Pacific Standard Time on Monday, April 2, 2018.
- All scripts should be submitted electronically to: email@example.com
In order to enter the festival, please DON’T do the following:
- Don’t submit a play with a single character. This means NO monologues, please
- Don’t submit a play that includes nudity, excessive bad language or could in any way be construed as a hard ‘R’ or ‘X’ rating.
- Don’t include excessive props or things like glitter or feathers that would be hard to clean up and delay transitions for our festival. Eight plays will be presented at each performance (4 plays before intermission, 4 plays after intermission). Please don’t make it hard for our production team to stage your show. We are looking for submissions that could be staged with a few acting blocks and some costumes.
- Don’t submit a play that has been produced on any stage, anywhere prior to Monday April 2, 2018. We will do a search for each play before notifying our 8 finalists. Any evidence that a play has been previously produced will result in disqualification of the script from our festival.