New Jersey Repertory Company invites playwrights to submit plays for its Sixth Theatre Brut Short-Play Festival. The theme is “WHEN THE CIRCUS COMES TO TOWN".
Plays can be dramatic, political, comedic, musical, monologue, or whatever sparks your interest. Although the theme is specified, we are not prescriptive with regard to style, and how you interpret the theme is the province of each playwright. Keep in mind that Theatre Brut seeks to foster “the creative impulse unfettered by social and artistic convention” so let your imagination soar and be adventurous. If you have ever aspired to "experiment" or stretch the boundaries of theater, this is the time to do so. Prior festivals have received 300-450 submissions and approximately 25 plays are chosen for each event. There is no compensation and playwrights retain all copyright of their works. Performances will be September 21 - 30, 2018 at NJ Rep - West End Arts, Long Branch, NJ and will be supplemented by other arts events including live music, poetry readings, an art show and photography exhibit.
Submitted works must adhere to the following guidelines:
• Must be previously unpublished.
• Although previously unproduced work is preferred, you may submit plays that have had no more than one professional production, as long as it was not produced in New Jersey or New York City.
• Must be 10-15 minutes in length.
• Cast should not exceed 4 actors, including any musicians.
• No doubling - one actor cannot play more than one role.
• The stage is small so set requirements must be simple, and prop requirements modest.
• No set or costume changes, please.
• No consumables other than liquids.
• No nudity.
• Only one submission per playwright.
The deadline for submissions is March 15, 2018.
How to Apply:
SUBMISSIONS: Should be emailed to email@example.com. Make sure you include:
• An attachment of the full script in word or PDF.
• A brief synopsis.
• A character breakdown.
• Playwright bio.
• Playwright address, phone number, and email.
In the subject line please put “Theatre Brut submission”. If your play does not follow these guidelines or does not include the submission materials, it will not be considered. The deadline for submissions is March 15, 2018. Please feel free to forward this request to interested parties. Thank you.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- Triskelion Arts' Experimental Works Program
- The Arch and Bruce Brown Foundation grant guidelin...
- Punk Monkey Productions seeking one-act plays
- The Business of Theater Workshop
- 2018 Glassco Translation Residency
- Aberrant Theatre is currently seeking short, horro...
- Life-sized Meme productions seeks scripts for 2018...
- Ox-Bow 2018 Fall Writers Residency
- Keegan Boiler Room Series Play and Musical Submiss...
- Happy World Theater Day March 27
- Fade To Black Play Festival
- The Dr. Floyd Gaffney Playwriting Competition 2018...
- Fourth Annual End of The Road New Short Play Festi...
- THEATRE503 PLAYWRITING AWARD 2018
- 9th Annual Festival of Shorts
- Manhattan Rep's SHORT PLAY PROJECT Spring 2018
- Coachella Review seeks drama
- Open Space Arts seeking submissions
- Seeing Between the Lines: The Dramaturg’s Perspect...
- 48-Hour Musicals
- 9Thirty Theatre Company submission guidelines
- Discount tickets: LATER LIFE
- 13th Annual One Act Play Festival (OAPF)
- Rover Dramawerks is seeking full-length comedies o...
- Theatre Conspiracy Annual New Play Contest
- RENEGADE N.O.W. 2018
- Turn to Flesh seeks plays with female protagonists...
- Matchstick Theatre seeks plays
- 21st Annual Aurand Harris Memorial Playwriting Awa...
- Athena Project - Plays in Progress Series
- The P73 Playwriting Fellowship
- THE LESLIE SCALAPINO AWARD FOR INNOVATIVE WOMEN PE...
- Dan I Rodden Jr Play Award
- Brockport Festival of Ten XI
- Playwrights Week at The Lark
- Manhattan Rep's Playwright's Showcase
- 2018 NATIONAL CALL FOR SCRIPTS Environ Justice
- This Round’s On Us: The - Making Sense - Festival ...
- The Petaluma Radio Players seeks plays for radio
- Babes with Blades submission guidelines
- Princess Grace Awards Playwriting Fellowship
- Call for Monologues: Illuminated Dresses
- Scranton Fringe Festival 2018
- Screenwriting Workshop at Primary Stages ESPA
- Whiskey Radio Hour seeks 10-minute plays
- Sixth Theatre Brut Short-Play Festival
- Clutch Productions offers commission to emerging f...
- Elite Theatre Company One-Act Play Writing Competi...
- The Blank Theatre Young Playwrights Festival
- ▼ March (49)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)