Submissions invited to THE ART OF ADAPTATION - the 11th annual festival of stage adaptations of non-dramatic literature
$200.00 prize to be awarded to each of six accepted entries. Additional bonus prize of $300.00 to festival winner.
City Lit Theater will present THE ART OF ADAPTATION on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, June 22, 23, and 24 and is currently soliciting for pieces for the festival.
The cash prize pool has been tripled to $1,500.00 for this year's festival. City Lit staff will select six (and only six) adaptations, each of which will be awarded $200.00. The selected adaptations will be given two performances over the course of the weekend with performances on Friday and Saturday night and a marathon of all pieces on Sunday. A panel of judges will view the Sunday performances and award an additional $300 cash prize to the adapter of the piece judged the best of the festival. The deadline for submissions is May 8, 2018. T
THE ART OF ADAPTATION takes place at City Lit Theater, in the historic Edgewater Presbyterian Church building at 1020 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue. The performance schedule is Friday, June 22 and Saturday, June 23 at 7:30 pm and Sunday, June 24 at 3:00 pm.
1. The piece must be 20 minutes or less. If it exceeds the 20-minute limit, it will not be eligible for the prize.
2. The piece must be an adaptation of non-dramatic material—a short story, an essay, a memoir, poetry, an excerpt from a novel, a video game, and so forth; but not material from a play.
3. The piece must be a world premiere adaptation.
4. The adapter is responsible for any royalties that are due for the piece, as well as for any rehearsal or production expenses. City Lit does not provide rehearsal space prior to tech rehearsal, and does not provide the services of a director or any actors.
5. The piece submitted must be the piece performed - no drastic changes can be made to the script after it is accepted.
6. Each piece selected will be performed on the same simple festival set with the same simple light plot. A stock of furniture will be provided. The adapter is responsible for all scenic elements, furniture, costumes, etc.
7. City Lit has a stock of furniture, costumes and props that is available to adaptors. Adaptors must provide a $20 deposit for any stock used. The deposit will be returned in full when all items are properly returned. 8. City Lit will provide the performance space, festival stage lighting, backstage and front-of-house crew, publicity, programs, tickets and the cash prizes.
To submit a proposal for entry into the festival, send a .pdf copy of your adaptation script to Katy Nielsen at AofA@citylit.org.
Proposals must be submitted no later than May 8. Selections will be announced by May 10th.