The New Voices Series is looking for your original one act scripts! Our call is open from March 1 to April 30, 2018 to select a script for possible inclusion in the DC Fringe Festival in 2019. It is free to submit.
New Voices is a project of NextGenLTA, which represents those under 40 who act, tech, direct and enjoy theater at the Little Theater of Alexandria. New Voices puts on performances of new work twice a year with directors under 40.
Playwrights and characters may be of any age.
We are looking for scripts that address challenging topics; shows can be comedy or drama, but should have well developed characters and themes that move an audience (to laughter or tears, your choice!)
Requirements of the script:
- Must be original; can have been performed other places.
- Must have a run time of between 45-80 minutes, no intermission. Scripts with run times outside of this will not be considered.
- Strong language and mature themes are very welcome, but we do not consider shows with nudity. Characters may be any age.
- Please do not submit a script previously sent for New Voices. Please do not submit political scripts, as our Fall 2018 show will have this theme. No musicals/movement pieces will be accepted at this time.
- We accept scripts from writers of any age; in the event that two scripts are of otherwise equal quality, we will select the writer under 40. You may choose not to identify if you are under or over 40, but will not be given the under-40 preference as a tie-breaker if so.
- One script may be submitted per playwright.
- 10-15 pages of the winning script will be posted online during the audition call in a google doc so that actors may familiarize themselves with the script.
- Scripts must be submitted in blind PDF format by April 30th, 2018. No late or incomplete entries will be considered.
- All scripts will receive a notification shortly after the closing date; the top five to ten scripts will move on to an in-person reading of the selection committee in May.
- Those that receive a reading but are not selected will receive brief feedback as to why the committee did not select them; scripts not receiving a reading will not be given feedback.
- The winner will be notified by June 1, 2018.
The winning script will be submitted for inclusion in the 2019 DC Fringe festival, with an additional performance at the Little Theater of Alexandria in Alexandria, VA.
As the festival has the ability to accept or reject shows, in the event it is not selected for Fringe it will receive several performances at the Little Theater of Alexandria where New Voices is housed. The winner agrees that no rights of any kind will be paid for these performances at Fringe and/or at LTA in summer 2019, and that New Voices will bear the sole responsibility of selecting the director and any/all cast and crew. New Voices will also be responsible for paying all expenses for the mounting of this show at Fringe and/or LTA. New Voices will not pay for the playwright to travel to DC, but will offer free tickets to the playwright if they choose to attend. The winner also agrees that no other theater in DC, MD or VA will be allowed to perform the play from the time of selection until August 2019.
To submit a show, please go here: http://bit.ly/NVSubmissionform
Any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.