The Problematic Play Festival will force us into conversation about the theater industry’s play selection process and the topics that are “off the table” in the American theater. Through an open submission process, we seek playwrights who are willing to discuss, stage, and confront their “problematic” work, providing a space for in-depth, critical, facilitated conversation between artists and audiences.
Throughout the process, we are asking what it means for work to be deemed problematic: Are these scripts “problematic” because they break some kind of universal rule, or have we personally deemed them “problematic” due to our own explicit or implicit biases around certain cultural, social, or political issues? Are there certain lines (of representation, privilege, and identity) that playwrights simply cannot cross? Is there some work that simply should not be done?
The staged reading series will take place in October 2018 at Z Space in San Francisco. Each staged reading will include facilitated discussions before, during, and after the reading; these discussions are the heart and the point of the festival.
Playwrights must be willing to be present (either virtually or in person) to discuss their play with a facilitator and audience.
Any length but longer plays (one-act or full-length) preferred
If you are interested in submitting your play and being part of this conversation, please prepare the following:
Script of your unproduced “problematic” play.
One page explanation of who you are, why you wrote the play, what makes the play “problematic” to you or to others, and what you might want to discuss with an audience.
Optional: up to three documents that show that the play has been rejected by gatekeepers (artistic directors, literary managers, major institutions, foundation officers, etc.).
Please attach all documents as PDFs and email to email@example.com with subject line Problematic Submission by May 1, 2018. Notifications will be sent by July 1, 2018.
If this project intrigues you and you would like to be involved as a reader, facilitator, actor, director, producer, or in any other capacity, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a bit about yourself and your interests.
This project is supported by a LMDA Bly Creative Capacity Grant.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- 4th STREET THEATER FIFTH ANNUAL TEN PLAY FESTIVAL
- Chicago's City Lit Theater's "Art of Adaptation Fe...
- Seeking 10-minute plays for show at Lucky Jacks on...
- Seeking Submissions for the 2018 Midwest Dramatist...
- The James Stevenson Prize for Short Plays
- The Chameleon Theatre Circle announces its 19th An...
- Barrington Stage Company New Play Award
- BMI Theatre Workshop
- Embassy of Foreign Artists
- New Voices Series seeks one-act scripts
- Dramatists Guild Foundation
- ALOHA THEATRE SEEKS SCRIPTS FOR 25TH ANNUAL ORIGIN...
- PLAYLAB CLASS OF 2019
- Summer Writing Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!
- TBT seeks full-length plays
- Thespian Production is seeking one-act plays
- The Ten-Minute Musicals Project
- PROBLEMATIC PLAY FESTIVAL
- Manhattan Rep's Summer One Act Play Competition 20...
- American Stage’s 21st Century Voices: 2019 New Pla...
- Studio Players 5th Annual 10-Minute Play Festival
- Parsnip Ship seeks plays for 2018
- 8th Annual Shakespeare's Birthday Sonnet Slam
- Acadiana Repertory Theatre seeks plays and musical...
- The Gate Project
- Gladstone Library Writers in Residence 2019
- Theatre Topics submission guidelines
- OnStage!festival, a new Festival of American Theat...
- Sultan Padamsee Award for Playwriting 2018
- 51st Annual John Gassner Memorial Playwriting Awar...
- Players Theatre Short Play & Musical Festival – NY...
- PLAYWRIGHTS' LAB ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR MEMBER...
- Falso Mutis presents: First Open Call: Playwriting...
- #metoo Plays - 10-minute plays wanted
- Going To The River Festival 2018
- 2018 Third Annual One-Act Playwriting Jamboree
- Small Fish Radio submission guidelines
- Florida Theatrical Association announces the 2018 ...
- Roaring Epiphany Production Company seeks playwrig...
- Protest Plays' Get Out the Vote! Initiative
- Theatre Southwest 21th Annual Theatre Southwest Fe...
- Nylon Fusion Theatre Company This Round's on us: C...
- Seeking short astrology-themed pieces for publicat...
- MadLab full-length submissions
- Everyday Inferno Theatre Co. Annual Outdoor Park S...
- Gi60 2018
- The 2018 Rockford New Play Festival
- Reclamation 2018 Plays written by and about Elders...
- ▼ April (48)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)